How long to wait for packaging after fining with gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epos7

Reaction score
I have two beers in the fermenter than have been cold crashing at 32F for three days. Last night I added gelatin finings to each fermenter.

Will the gelatin be effective after 24 hours, or should I give it longer? I was hoping to bottle tonight to free up my carboys for brewing over the weekend, but if the gelatin needs longer to do its thing I'll wait to bottle until tomorrow.

Answering more so because you are a fellow Washingtonian that feels the need to clarify you are from the state and not the hell hole Washington on the other side of the country :). I only hit with gelatin rarely and when I do it is in the keg so I'm not paying particular attention to how long it takes to do its thing. IIRC after a few days it is noticeably clearer. Take a sample to check its where you like before committing to bottling though.

I always bottle 24 hours after adding gelatin. I usually add it on Saturday morning before going to work, and if I am brewing, I bottle during the boil on Sunday morning. I have never gone longer that 24 hours, and the beers are always clear.

I have a really hoppy DIPA that always was cloudy because of all the hop debris. So I tried a cold crash for 48 hours then added gelatin for 24 hours. Much improved clarity. Just rebrewed this same beer and did a 48 hour crash and 48 hour gelatin. The clarity was even better. While I doubt going any longer will make much difference, I think I will stick with the 48/48 method from now on.

I ended up bottling after about 30 hours, and the beer isn't very clear. I'll probably give it longer next time.

Back