How long to soak in oxiclean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
have my primary soaking in oxiclean right now. how long should i let it soak for to remove smell from last fermentation?

I am guessing you are using a plastic bucket? It will not take long at all, it can clean it up in about an hour. To be safe, maybe try a day unless you are in a hurry. I cleaned my glass carboy with Oxiclean and it only took 20 minutes, but that was glass.

I just wised up and bought some oxiclean. I'm going to be bottling soon and will soak the bottles before sanitizing. Am I okay just taking them out of the oxiclean, blasting them with the jet bottle washer, sanitizing and drying?

It depends on how much you use, how hot the water was, and how much crap was stuck to the bucket.

I just wised up and bought some oxiclean. I'm going to be bottling soon and will soak the bottles before sanitizing. Am I okay just taking them out of the oxiclean, blasting them with the jet bottle washer, sanitizing and drying?

I personally clean the with oxiclean and then dry them out and set them aside if I'm not bottling for a day or two. Then I usually sanitize right before bottling so that nothing has a chance to settle in. But aside from that, just watch out for any residue that develops on the bottom of the bottle. Depending on the minerals in your water (if you're using tap), you could precipitate out some calcium carbonate the longer you let it soak. I found this one out the hard way. If it does happen, you can just add vinegar to break it up easily.

just a side note once a plastic bucket is used for fermenting it always has a slight aroma to it..

If you're sanitizing with star san there is no need to dry. The foam will actually break down into a tiny bit of yeast food and help with carbonation.

Back