How long should I boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying a Hard Cider tonight, How long should the apple juice boil? Any help would be great:) I'm using 3 gallons of Apple juice and .5 cup Honey.;) Thanks

Hmm...I wouldn't boil it at all. The best cider I have made was with a bunch of apples pressed into cider and then a couple packets of dry champagne yeast thrown in. Just awesome stuff and the cheapest fermented beverage I have ever made!

Maybe other cider-masters will have other ideas.

Thanks, but I'm not using cider, I'm trying to make a lighter sparkling cider for the old lady;) A few recipes I saw say to boil but, don't say how long. It's just to kill the foreign yeast so theres no competition for my champagne yeast, Hey ! It's an expirement ! :tank: Isn't Fun the best thing to have!:mug: :mug:

I've made hard cider before. Like you Janx I did not boil it. It's basicly wine. Incredible stuff ! :) I am a little confused though with what Long Live Liver said.... you are "trying to make a lighter sparkling cider", but you are not using cider. So... what are you using again?

Back