How long is your brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to go to the Stillraining school of brew time management..........

You can do it Mate...:rockin:

I don't get into Whirl-pooling or letting hot break or cold break settle, decoction or to much step mashing . I'm a simple guy that likes things to move along at a good clip with simple methods ..I like dark beers too, so any chill haze I may get that someone else would OCD over just insist noticed or important to me.
Although I still seem to get clear good tasting beer regardless. I also stopped racking to secondary for conditioning. If there is a short cut without affecting my beers taste I'm going to take it.

Carry on

IMG_1637.JPG

5 hours to brew a 6 gallon all-grain fly sparge batch. Put everything away and fill up the mash tun and boil kettle with a hot PBW soak. The next day is another hour to scrub and rinse everything: MLT, Boil Kettle, hoses, mash paddle, false bottom, chiller, etc.

You can do it Mate...:rockin:

I don't get into Whirl-pooling or letting hot break or cold break settle, decoction or to much step mashing . I'm a simple guy that likes things to move along at a good clip with simple methods ..I like dark beers too, so any chill haze I may get that someone else would OCD over just insist noticed or important to me.
Although I still seem to get clear good tasting beer regardless. I also stopped racking to secondary for conditioning. If there is a short cut without affecting my beers taste I'm going to take it.

Carry on

That's a good looking beer.

I usually schedule from 10a to 4 or 430p including cleanup. I'm doing 5g all grain with 2 5g coolers as mash tun and HLT, and fly sparge. 60 min mash, and often a 90min boil. Still using the stove top for this so heating everything takes forever, and usually do a 30min hop stand, so that can take a bit. It's a fun day usually spent with friends, so I'm not in a rush. Would like a more powerful burner though...

Nope all grain

OK here goes.

1) My brew burner is always set up and ready to go.
2) My grains are always pre-ground and weighed from my LHBS
2) All my gear is in a big tote and pre-cleaned and sanitized from last brew day.

Ready ? OK lets brew a 5.5 gallon batch....using 9 lbs of grain

a) Drag out 16 gal brew kettle set on burner and fill with 8 gallons H20 ( light burner as soon as water hits the bottom of kettle) 5 min tops
b) drag out everything else while water heats including brew step sheet..grains,,hops,,MLT,, hydrometer viles..etc etc.
c) Water is at 204 in < 15 min Dump into HLT ( Cooler #1) Kill flame... Set pot back on burner.
d) Transfer strike water volume called for in recipe with plastic pitcher from HLT to MLT ( cooler #2) and add cold water in short squirts from garden hose at same time to reach target temp and target volume for mash in ( Im more concerned with hitting temp then hitting the volume exact..a quart or two over wont hurt the mash any...I use an infrared gun for all my measurements. very quick and easy. 2 min tops
e) Mash in pre-measured grains ..stir... start clock.. make sure lids are closed on coolers. 2 min tops.. .Go in house and do whatever for 45 min. ( I come out and stir mash once or twice during this time unless I forget )

OK with me so far ...were at 24 min total clock time to mash in.

d) I mash for 50 min

OK mash out now begins with clock at a total run time now at 1:14

C) Mash out with about 2 gal of hot water from HLT ( less or more dosent matter much just hit your temp) with my 1 gal pitcher again as fast as I can, water in HLT is more like 200 by now. This is just a tad lower then I would like it to be in the winter but still works well. I still get about 165 mash out temp with around 2 gallons of water or less. 3to 4 min tops

Let mash out sit for for 5 min

OK total run time till ready to vorluf first running 1 hour 23 min

d) Vorluf till clear straight from MLT valve..when clear slip on hose and let fly into 5 gal boil kettle or bucket on ground under MLT (Vorluf takes 2 quarts usually) 2 min tops
e) While first running are draining fill a hydrometer vile while doing this.. drain MLT completely...close valve..transfer to 16 gal pot on burner and light flame. 5 min tops
f) Check temp of water in HLT ( usually about 195 by now) Add water from water hose to get to 170... Dump all required remaining water from HLT ( Cooler #1) over grain bed in MLT (cooler #2) in one batch sparge. I will be within a couple degrees of 168, usually a tad low so don't have to worry about over temping grains....stir and let settle 3 min min.

OK were now into it 1 hour 33 min at this point.

g) Now same thing as with first running, let grains settle 2 min vorluf first 2 quarts 2 min tops ..then let fly into bucket and also fill a second hydrometer vile when doing this ( second Running's) when grains are drained "or" you have reached your boil volume close valve 3 min tops ..... now transfer this to 16 gal kettle ( first running are almost always boiling already by this time)
h) Now all wort is collected... bring all to boil about 5 min and boil 1 hour

We are now at 1:45 min total run time to start of boil

Boil 1 hour...Add hops per brew schedule after hot break is over.

Clean and Put MLT HLT...stir spoon etc..all away during boil, you should have very few thing to clean after pitching yeast. Hydrate yeast at this time as well and have ready.

Total clock time atl flame now out is 2:45

Slide fermentation bucket under kettle valve and let fly... 208+ degree wort kills anything it touches no need to re-serialize pre_cleaned and steralized. fermentation bucket. ( You could chill in the pot but I prefer to do it in bucket.) 3 min tops to drain all wort. Close valve on boil kettle.

Toss in chiller and agitate in wort vigorously and continuously.you can feel the difference in the inlet and outlet copper tubes as water sucks the heat out ...stop moving the chiller and outlet water gets cold fast..start agitaing it again and it gets very warm....SO keep it moving! that's the key to a fast chill..Our water is 51 degrees or colder in winter so 5 min is all it takes to get to 68 degrees...pull chiller and pitch yeast...snap on lid.. carry bucket in house to fermentation room and install air lock 7 min tops

There you have it 2 hours 55 min on paper.. :mug:

Takes me maybe 5 min to clean the pot and put odd's and ends a way and star san my hose.
Obviously I can do these steps just a litter faster with out any rushing as I was completely cleaned and drinking a beer in 2:50 min last Sunday on a easy not rushed brew day.

Add 35min to 45 min for 10 gal batch

So what the heck are you guys doing anyway??? :D

So you are taking Pacific Northwest cold water from your tap to 204 degrees in 15 minutes with a propane burner I had a blichmann burner and had nowhere near similar results anybody else with a burner want to chime in here. With all do respect I don't know if I believe that?! It took me 12 minutes to heat hot tap water to 164 strike with a 5500 watt element submerged. And I'm in Denver over a mile high where water boils faster . Then you're saying you can chill five and a half gallons of boiling beer with an immersion chiller in 5 minutes. Im wondering here...

I can go from mash temp to boiling 10 gallons in about 15 minutes with my Blichman. Don't think I can do that straight from the cold tap and I'm in the Pacific NW. I missed the part that said from hose to boil in 15 minutes.

Usually about 4 or 5 hours. 10 gallon electric, single heated vessel. Shortest day was about 3 on the dot. Every measure was taken to speed things along. 30 minute mash, start heating first runnings while sparging (with hot water, to get to boil faster), 30 minute boil, no chill. Don't see that becoming my main method, but I was science-ing.

I can go from mash temp to boiling 10 gallons in about 15 minutes with my Blichman. Don't think I can do that straight from the cold tap and I'm in the Pacific NW. I missed the part that said from hose to boil in 15 minutes.

Sorry he mentioned using garden hose so I assumed that's how he filled pot but tap garden either way this time of year its cold.

Wow! Im impressed by that, i went from 143 to boil in 12 min with 7.5 gallons wort and element submerged first use. I should have given burner another try before i made electric maybe but oh well. Not knit picking here i am ALWAYS ready to discuss speed brewing. . Its my thing (or at least one of them) i guess

5-6 hours for all grain. I don't mind the length of the brew day though. It's relaxing, I'm doing what I love, and while its mashing and boiling, I can listen to some music, watch a movie, smoke a cigar. The reason I love this hobby is not just the end result, but the process and the fact that it's not labor intensive, especially since I started doing all my calculations days before brew day.

About 6 hours. I do a lot of 80-90 minute mashes and 80-90 minute boils (high gravity, Belgian Pils). That's starting the clock when I turn on the stove because I have my strike water on the stove the night before. I'm ready to mash in about the time I finish my coffee.

I like to have my mash tun, burner, everything else set up from the night before.

about 4 hrs from grinding grain to wort into the fermenter and cleaning the pot.BIAB,but was given a grainfather for a retirement gift,not looking forward to the extended time of cleaning

4 hours today from grain to fermenter. 5 gallon batch. 5 hour total brew day. We bottled 2 batches as well. We did BIAB. We can do under 3 hours if we are prepared the night before, and if who ever is hosting has the water close to strike temp before we all arrive to brew.

Our 10 gallon brew days seem to take an extra 40 minutes.

OK so I'm glad you guys called me on this...I have the day off so I just completed an actual test.

You are right I could not do it in 15 min today....maybe I never could.

It has been way colder here for 3 days now in my partial defense :D
IMG_1716_zpstoaiemjt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is the results of the test.

1) Garden hose was frozen so transferred water from our bathtub plumbing .. Same diff. probably as out side hose bib goes through crawlspace of house as well just like rest of house. Anyway here is 8 gallons of water straight from the tap it was 6 degrees colder then last brew day. 45 vs 51.
IMG_1715_zpskgstymuz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And here is the target temp...which took 26.10......I should know my individual numbers before sharing them like I did as a generality ....I have never actually timed this step before so thank you.... I do note my start time and finish times though which still do remain the same no mater what must shift one way or another ... Sorry if I miss lead anyone with the actual boil time...
It was not a conclusive test as all temps were different...Water ..outside air being way colder but it was reveling just the same. I will not state 15 min ever again....it is what it is. :tank: I don't know where my head was at with my original write up anyway..I never heat 8 gallons up to 204 degrees for a sparge in the first place.Getting old sucks!...I'll do a re-write one of these days with actual not guesstimated times, and volumes.

Wheeeewwwww........ I do 1 gallon for experiments and still have myself 4-6 hours brew days depending on how much junk I need to clear out of the kitchen first :p. Curious what kinds of recipes you're doing?

Trappist ales, dark German lager, big stout, Baltic Porter, English brown and bitter, saison, American brown, Barleywine.

@stillraining thanks for doing in posting your results. I wish I would have given my burner another chance.

5 hours today from pouring the water in the kettle to putting the cleaning rags in the washer. Nothing prepared ahead of time. Just a nice easy pace, no rush.
5gal BIAB.

Did my 3rd brew with my new BIAB setup. I was expecting 4 hours but ran into frozen water issues plus a couple extra things due to cold weather. Ended up being about 5.5 hours for a final 10 gallons. That was cleanup and everything. Optimal situation with good weather I would like to think 4 hours is realistic.

Setup to cleanup is 6 hours if I'm taking my time and it's cold out. In summer, immersion chilling takes longer.

What's more important is how much of that time is fun, because the cleaning portion is definitely NOT fun, and that takes me at least an hour.

Really didn't keep track of time here....Set up about 5PM..Got going and was pouring wort into fermenter at about 11PM...Just took it slow and easy as I was doing my 1st AG...Extracts I can usually knock out in a little over 2hrs..(2.5G batches)

I usually plan 5-6 hours (inc. prep and clean up) in my brew day for a 5 gallon batch. My last brew day, I incorporated smoking some ribs at the same time on my charcoal grill. Spent the whole morning and afternoon outside in beautiful California weather.

I seem to be averaging about 5 1/2 hours start to finish. Between the time to bring the strike water to temp., the mash time, the fly spare time, the boil time , And the cooling time I don't know if I can make it much shorter. But I really enjoy the process, being outdoors, and getting the barbecue going.....

I'm interested in how long it's taking guys to get their water from tap to strike temp. I'll note mine next time.

Usually my cheap banjo burner can heat 4.5 gallons from room temp to strike temp in 15 minutes.
Total brew day is around 4 hours. I am trying a double brew day next with boil and mash overlapping. Hope to stay under 6 hours...

6 hours give or take 30 minutes. 13 gallons. Using a helper actually extends brewday...

Have everything setup the night before. Depending on when I start imbibing will dictate other delays....

Many here i dont think care about time. they either enjoy brewing or do it with friends or its a hobby i can understand all that....i seek 3.5 hours or less.

This is where I stand on the topic. I have never brewed alone I typically brew with my Brother and sometimes a friend or two as well. I would say it takes anywhere from 4-6 hours depending on how many gallons we are making up but the extra hands help a lot when its time to clean up. Plus the hobby is much more fun when I can spend time doing things I enjoy with people I enjoy doing things with :mug:

8+ for a big beer and parti-gyle, from set up to equipment cleaned and drying.
4 or 5 from cold start to cleaned on one brew

From grain to fermentation chamber - roughly 4 hours, all grain - 5 Gal. batches. including clean up and putting away everything.

Clocked in at 3 Hours 45 min from pulling the cars out of the garage to being done cleaning. BIAB, 60 min mash, 60 min boil. Water temp at 55 degrees for chilling so that went fast. I still have about 5 min left for putting dried equipment away thought.

I brew 5g batches in about 4 hours total, plus a little more clean up time. I pretty much dedicate an entire day to the process. My brewing partner and I like to sample beers past, and new beers off the shelf while brewing.

I like to get the job done, but not rush anything. This is a hobby, not a chore! I like to treat it as such!

Primary 1 - High Dollar IPA
Primary 2 - Dead Ringer IPA
Keg 1 - Brown Ale
Keg 2 - Brown Ale
Drinking - American Style Hard Apple Cider

Latest posts

Back