how long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treybrew

Reaction score
I've been out of town and my beer has been fermenting for almost a month is it still good to bottle?

4 weeks in primary is better than just 2 weeks. old school advice was to get it out of primary quickly, modern school of thought is that no harm comes from several weeks of promary. in fact, it improves the beer.

so your beer is not only fine, it's better than if you had followed a shorter schedule. bottle or keg it and enjoy!

Sure. I've left normal strength brews in my carboy for about 2-3 months before I bottled it and they turned out fine.

After 6 months primary for a 5gal batch, you're pushing it. Weird flavors (autolysis?) start appearing around 8-9 months in my experience with a few experimental beers.

Hopefully, your airlock didnt go completely dry, but don't worry about it.
I don't bottle anything until at least 6 weeks of fermentation. I like to rack to secondary after 2 weeks, so I don't get as much yeast in the bottles, but you will be good.

Back