How long is TOO long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUZ808

Reaction score
So I have my first batch of cider in my secondary and its been there for about a month. I have tasted it here and there while sampling other brews and it seems to be improving as its aged. My question is how long is it too long for my cider to sit in the secondary.

I do want to carbonate the cider but not much. I'm worried if I leave it for too long the yeast will become dormant and not carb up the priming sugars

Could I just bottle it now and let it sit in the bottles for a few months to age?

Thanks in advance for the help:)

I have done three batches were I tested the time AFTER bottling and BEFORE pasteurizing for carbs.

Three weeks in the bottle was TOO LONG. The bottles leaked when I ran them through the dishwasher. The cider came out like a fizziest sparkling wine I have ever seen. The cider dried considerably.

Two days wasn't enough. The cider was basically still flat.

My gut feel is one week is just right - I am trying that with my current batch.

I run the dishwasher on its normal setting. I make sure I place my 22oz bottles on the bottom rack and try to stand them up tall.

Back