How long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
I was cleaning out a storage closet the other day, and I happened upon a 6 gallon carboy of wine. IIRC, I started fermenting it sometime in the fall of 2009, and I do remember getting to the final clearing stage and expecting to be able to bottle it sometime around the holidays. The carboy is filled all the way up to about 2" from the bung, so I'm not overly concerned about oxidation. And since I do remember doing multiple rackings, using chitosan, isinglass, and potassium metabisulfate along the way, I'm not worried about yeast autolysis.

Still, I've never bulk-aged wine like this, so I don't know what to expect. I usually have it in bottles within 2-3 months, and then let it sit for another 6-12 months after bottling. Should I expect any ill effects?

What is "when it's no longer short?" I'll have "Other Crap for $1000, Alex...".:D

The best way to judge it is by smelling it first then tasting it. If I were there I'd volunteer a sample for you...:D

How's the airlock? Was the water/vodka all gone? Any "creatures" get in?

Back