How long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one20grit

Reaction score
I brewed an Irish Stout 5 weeks ago. I racked it into secondary about 3 weeks ago with some coffee beans. I wanted to bottle it this weekend but had a pipe burst and flood my living room. Now my next 2 weekends are taken up by me playing Handy Manny. Do I need to bottle it asap or will it be ok with 2 more weeks in secondary. I'm a little worried autolysis will set in but it IS in secondary.

First autolysis is one of those boogeymen for the homebrewer, it really isn't a concern to us, in fact many of us no longer secondary and opt instead for a month long primary (THere's thousands of threads discussing it on here) and folks have left their beer in PRIMARY for 6 months with no signs of autolysis, so don't worry about it,

Especially since you secondaried....many of our beers lager or sit in secondary for up to a year or more....So again don't worry.

If it's in secondary, you have a very long time that you can let it sit before worrying. Like a year, at least! It'll be fine where it is until you can get a chance to bottle it.

Latest posts

Back