How long is too log to dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an IPA in the secondary right now and dry hopping. I have to go out of town for a couple of days and want to know if you can leave the dry hops soaking for two weeks. The directions call for 7 days. any thoughts?

You can but you get the best aroma between 4-7 days. After that you'll have less aroma in your beer.

I have gotten a significant reduction in aroma when leaving them in for too long. But if taking them out before you leave means they'll be in there less than a week, I would leave them in and then bottle as soon you get back.

If your using whole hops, 7 days but more than 10 will give you a very green grassy taste. Hop pellets can go up to 2 weeks but won't leave the grassy notes nearly as bad.

I recently dry hopped an IPA with Ahtanum hops for 14 days. They were pellet hops. The grassy notes were not present but the piney, citrusy nose was very pronounced.

It all depends on your preference or taste. I wouldn't risk dry hopping for more than 14 days.

I am using pellets in a bag, i will be home and able to bottle after 9 days of dry hopping. It sounds like i should be safe. Thanks to everyone, for the advise.

Back