How long in the primary and pressure barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustcallmeMrT

Reaction score
Hi everyone, great forum - I'm picking up loads of tips!

I brewed my second ever batch last week with the following recipe:

0.25 lbs Melanoidin malt (honey malt)
3.7 lbs 65:35 wheat DME
0.4 lbs Light DME
2.0 lbs honey

Steeped the honey malt at 155F for 30 min in 6.5L water.
Brought this to a boil, then boiled the extracts for 60 mins, with following hops schedule:
0.6 oz Fuggles @ 60 min
0.3 oz Fuggles @ 20 min
0.3 oz Cascade @ 20 min
0.6 oz Cascade @ 0 min

Added the honey at flameout, chilled to 75F, aerated and pitched Danstar Munich wheat beer yeast.

Starting gravity: 1.038

Now to my question: my last batch was a 5 gallon IPA, which I left in the primary for 21 days and then into the pressure barrel with 2.5oz of corn sugar and left it for 1 week. It was pretty flat and tasted sharp for the first few weeks. I now know that my timings were probably too short, that I got impatient and got into my new beer too early.

I've read that a wheat beer may take even longer in the primary, and I don't know how long to leave it in the pressure barrel to carb up before I give it a try. What are your experiences? How long would you guys leave this in both the primary and the barrel? What do you think of the recipe?

Looking forward to some feedback!

staticmap

Latest posts

Back