How long have you left a beer in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metanoia

Reaction score
So I've had an IPA in the primary fermenter for the last 9 months, because I got lazy and ran out of time/money/effort to keep brewing last fall. I filled two bottles last week, added enough dextrose to get average carbonation, and let them sit for 8 days. Threw one in the freezer right now to chill it down... and it came out tasting amazing! Not best-IPA-ever amazing, but I could totally bottle this and drink the whole batch.

I haven't opened the lid to look at the beer yet (I use a spigot), but it tastes like a fairly average IPA, with only a bit of the bitterness lowered, but not even to APA levels. It'll need a dry hop, but other than that there's no off flavors I can detect; I'll be getting a second opinion from some homebrew friend this Thursday. I used WLP001 for reference.

So has anyone else left a beer on the yeast cake for this long or longer? Seems that these strains today are very durable.

Funny that you posted this. I last brewed late Sept. 2014 and just got around to kegging and bottling 2 weeks ago. The porter is pretty darned tasty, but the Bitter is like vinegar. Letting it sit in the keg for a while to see if anything good comes from it.

Back