How long for Safale-05 to start bubbling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I know there are probably a ton of variables but typically how long does it take for a dry pitch of S-05 to get started?

the 05 is a machine...pitched it dry last time and way too hot, so it took 12 hours before the airlock was bubbling furiously instead of the 8 or so i've experienced previously... it blew out of the airlock (5 gal in 6.5 gal fermenter) for each day for three straight... this stuff is automatic and very reliable in my experience...

Times I've used it, it was about the same time the next day before I had krausen. I don't get airlock activity with my setup.

I usually start to get some light foam about 12 hours in (I always rehydrate and pitch at 70 or below) and usually getting a good krausen within 24 hours. My buckets aren't well sealed so I rarely get any airlock bubbling but I can smell the CO2 in the room when it's cranking.

With a bucket fermenter I typically start to see air lock activity within 6 hours and then full activity 12-16 hours after pitching. I have found it to be a very quick yeast and I like it very much. It's great not having to work with liquid yeast as well when you don't feel like it.

Mine takes at least 24 hours to get some bubbling and anything more than 1/16" krausen....that's with the past two batches, one a porter at 1.048, one a Cent. Blonde at 1.042, rehydration of yeast in 75 deg water, pitching into 75 deg wort.

I'm putting my primaries right into a swamp cooler though, so the action is having to start off at 64 ish degrees, which is probably why it is having a sluggish start.

Notty takes off much faster IMHO.

Thanks for the replies! I was seeing bubbling in the airlock around 12-20 hours later. It started some time in the middle of the night so hard to tell exactly how long. It's in my getto water cooling bath that seems to stay between 66*-69* pretty well. I'm thinking about pitching another packet, would this be a problem this late in the game?

thanks again:mug:

Why would you want to pitch more yeast?

don't mess with it unless you have a good reason that is backed up by hydro readings, stalled fermentation, etc.

SAMC,

The reason I'm considering pitching another packet is because after I pitched the yeast packet I shook up the ale pale to get the yeast into the wort. Afterwards I noticed some yeast stuck on the side of the pale so I get a little worried that I lost some yeast. That's the only reason and I read that some people always pitch 2 packets in 5 gal batches.

It's been in there for 3 days....don't eff with it!

The yeast you pitched originally is currently 3 days into its lifecycle. Yeast you would pitch fresh would be in a DIFFERENT part of its lifecycle. Namely, you'd have no oxygen in your wort for your new yeast to eat.

The original yeast you pitched has by now multiplied by many fold....your new yeast would be a drop in the bucket in comparison, (no pun intended). Yeast need oxygen to make babies, and your first packet has just eaten it all up.

Don't stress about the few lost cells on the walls....you'll be fine.

Thanks shorty. I'll heed your advice and not worry about it. Do you personally pitch 2 packets for 5 gals?

:mug:

from Fermentis website -

9/ How much beer can I brew with one sachet of Fermentis 11.5g dry yeast ?
One sachet of 11.5g is suitable to brew 15 to 22 litres of beer (4 to 6 gallons). For lagers, use two sachets of yeast when brewing at cold temperature (12°C or below).

It's been in there for 3 days....don't eff with it!

The yeast you pitched originally is currently 3 days into its lifecycle. Yeast you would pitch fresh would be in a DIFFERENT part of its lifecycle. Namely, you'd have no oxygen in your wort for your new yeast to eat.

The original yeast you pitched has by now multiplied by many fold....your new yeast would be a drop in the bucket in comparison, (no pun intended). Yeast need oxygen to make babies, and your first packet has just eaten it all up.

Don't stress about the few lost cells on the walls....you'll be fine.

+1 to everything he said.

I've never pitched 2 packages of US-05, though I'm planning to when I make my 1.095 RIS

Thanks shorty. I'll heed your advice and not worry about it. Do you personally pitch 2 packets for 5 gals?

:mug:

For my first two batches, I was scared, and I'd just read How To Brew, so yes, I pitched 2 packets.

Then I read more, and went to Mr. Malty's site , and learned that something like 0.5-0.9 packets was how much I really needed. For the past three brews I've pitched one packet each...(one of which was a Wyeast Activator, so according to Mr Malty I underpitched by a factor of 1/2...but oh well...it's fermenting anyway!)

My experience with US-05 is 12-24 hours at 70-72deg in a 1.045-1.060 wert to see signs of active fermentation.

If I'm reading Mr Malty correctly, one 11 gram packet of viable dry yeast should be good for 5.25 gallons of wort up to about a O.G. of about 1.06.

Did you re-hydrate or pitch dry? Sticking and clumping of dry yeast is one reason I always re-hydrate. Re-hydrating should also yield a higher % of viable yeast cells per packet.

+1 on leaving it alone. A vessel of fermenting yeast is like one big living organism. It sizes up available resources, calculates how best to achieve its task, and goes from there. Pretty amazing, actually.

If I'm reading Mr Malty correctly, one 11 gram packet of viable dry yeast should be good for 5.25 gallons of wort up to about a O.G. of about 1.06.

Did you re-hydrate or pitch dry? Sticking and clumping of dry yeast is one reason I always re-hydrate. Re-hydrating should also yield a higher % of viable yeast cells per packet.

+1 on leaving it alone. A vessel of fermenting yeast is like one big living organism. It sizes up available resources, calculates how best to achieve its task, and goes from there. Pretty amazing, actually.

How do you guys go about re-hydrating the dry yeast?

thanks

How do you guys go about re-hydrating the dry yeast?

thanks

10x times yeast weight in 77-84F boiled cooled water for 30 minutes is what Fermentis recommends. I did this a few times and then tried dry pitching and can't tell any difference so I figured why go through the extra steps.

10x times yeast weight in 77-84F boiled cooled water for 30 minutes is what Fermentis recommends. I did this a few times and then tried dry pitching and can't tell any difference so I figured why go through the extra steps.

About what I do....11 gram yeast packet in about 100-150 g water...sprinkle it on top, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then stir to suspend all yeast. Pitch away. :mug:

Back