How long for maximum yeast growth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a doppelbock next weekend, using some washed yeast I have from a prior batch. Based on the Mr Malty calculator and some info from How to Brew, it looks like I am going to have to step up a couple starters to get to the desired yeast count, based on how much yeast I have.

I only have 1 stir plate and flask and if I want to brew next weekend, I will need to start making my starters soon. My question is, how long after pitching the yeast into the starter, will I reach the optimum yeast growth? From the info in How to Brew, with the amount of yeast I have and the size of my starter, the maximum growth I can get is 125 billion cells.

From my research, I have found that the maximum growth is at about 12-18 hours, or when the starter begins to ferment. Does this sounds about right or should I wait closer to high krausen.

Once I get the maximum growth, I am planning on crashing the starter in the fridge, and then pitching that yeast into a 1 gallon starter for even more growth. Do I have to wait for it to completely ferment out before I can crash it, or can I crash after the yeast growth?

Thanks

Back