How long for an infection to show up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyValley

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
About 9 days ago, as I was pitching yeast into a 6 gallon fermentation bucket, I inadvertently dropped a (unsanitized) rubber band into the wort. I immediately fished it out with sanetized tongs, figuring it would be better to reduce the amount of bacteria I introduced.

A few days ago, I racked the beer to secondary. The beer had some dark brown flakes floating on the top which looked like kreusen or yeast - nothing alarming. The beer tasted pretty bitter to me but it's a yeast I haven't used before, so definitely no alarm bells there.

I'm not worrying so much about the beer itself, but I washed the yeast and am wondering how long should I wait to see if an infection emerges before reusing this yeast? Also, I'm planning on reusing the fermentation buckets tomorrow for a new beer - should I nuke them with bleach or just go about my normal StarSan sanitization procedure.

Thanks! Nick

Infections can take days to months to show up. Most likely you do not have one and the yeast is safe to use.

Latest posts

Back