How long does CO2 last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman551

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a bar (see the post in Sanitation/Equipment entitled "I bought a bar). It came with two CO2 tanks. One of them is at least half full, but it has been sitting in storage for probably 20 years. What should I do? Will my local B&M beverage place drain it and refill it, or should I use it as is? I opened the valve a bit, and it shot gas out of there, and it smelled "fresh" if there is such a thing for CO2.

Thanks,

BR

I doubt the gas goes bad as oxygen and carbon is billions of years old :tank: but you will not be able to refill the bottle without it being tested and certified

I'd also use the gas, then take the empty cylinder to an AirGas filling station for an exchange.
Odds are pretty good they won't charge for the hydro test on your old tank...

Cheers!

How big are the tanks? I have a relative that works at a restaurant that has a 150 gallon co2 thank in the back yard refilled by a delivery truck. I have a keezer that uses a 10# tank. Technically when I picked up the first tank I paid a $50 "deposit" and am borrowing the tank. It doesn't belong to me, it will be exchanged for a full tank when empty. When I spoke to the local Airgas dealer, they said they have tanks in rotation that are 50-60 years old. Every 10 years they test and recertify them.

Back