How long do you let bottle condition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eerrpp

Reaction score
I brewed an extract clone recipe of bells two hearted. I changed it up a bit and added some extra dry hops and other nonrecipe hops during the boil.

It’s been bottled for 3 weeks now. I tried a bottle after it was in the fridge overnight for a day and it was good except I felt like I was drinking two different beers. The first half of the beer had more of the bittering flavor and when I got to the bottom of the glass I could taste more of the citra and aromatic hops I added.

How come the flavors haven’t mixed together completely? I’m going to let it bottle condition longer and see how it tastes.

I didn’t know if it needed to bottle condition longer or if it didn’t refrigerated long enough or if its how the beer tastes?

On my two hearted clone (AG recipe from BYO), I don't bottle condition, per se. I just wait as long as necessary for the carbonation and then start drinking the batch. I don't put them in the fridge until the day of drinking, they are stored in my basement which is well above fridge temps. From my experience, this isn't an IPA that really benefits from any sort of long term conditioning period.

As for the mixing issue, never experienced that and I can't imagine being able to have that sort of tasting ability aside from some really divergent flavors. Id just pour into a glass and start ripping through the batch.

I agree with PADave^^ many beers taste very different as the warm up to room temps.

I didn’t really think of that but I guess it could be that. It was the strangest thing, the first half being hoppy bitter and the bottom of the glass being citrusy sweet.

IMO, most craft beers taste better as they warm up and this is why most craft breweries serve their beer at 40-44 degrees. I know my home brew beers always improve as they approach room temp.

Ah, the magic of beer. Two different flavors from one bottle... just wait 15 or 20 minutes, or drink slowly.

I brewed an extract clone recipe of bells two hearted....

I tried a bottle after it was in the fridge overnight for a day and it was good except I felt like I was drinking two different beers. The first half of the beer had more of the bittering flavor and when I got to the bottom of the glass I could taste more of the citra and aromatic hops I added.

How come the flavors haven’t mixed together completely? I’m going to let it bottle condition longer and see how it tastes.....

It sounds as if you have brewed a truly "two-hearted" beer....

I didn’t really think of that but I guess it could be that. It was the strangest thing, the first half being hoppy bitter and the bottom of the glass being citrusy sweet.

I would try to explain it this way....
First the bitterness hits you...
As the beer warms up your tongue perceivs more flavor/aroma compounds and at the same time your bitterness taste buds get overwhelmed with it...
That´s why I am not tempted to try extremely hoppy beers.
Maybe some day...

Back