How long do kits last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboygentry

Reaction score
I have an oatmeal stout kit I bought last week. My problem is I may be moving within the next 3 to 4 weeks so I'm hesitate to brew this weekend. So my question is how long can I wait to brew that batch? Thanks for the advice.

It should easily keep until you get settled in kept cool and dry. Many months really. Keep the yeast cool though.

Just did my Northern Brewers Bavarian Hefeweizen a couple weeks ago after purchasing it back in August 2012. Everything was fine except had to replace the Wyeast pack. The fermentables were fine though.

So the grains were fine? This is great news! Should I store the yeast and hopes in my fridge? I take it the extract should be fine as well then?

So the grains were fine? This is great news! Should I store the yeast and hopes in my fridge? I take it the extract should be fine as well then?

I'm wondering the same thing. Looking to buy some recipe kits to keep around for spontaneous brewing. I'll definitely keep the yeast in the fridge but I'm curious about the hops. Should they be put in a ziplock and frozen?

DME, LME, uncrushed grain, frozen hops, and refrigerated dry yeast are good for at least a year.

Crushed grain will slowly degrade and should be used within 3-4 months.

My brewing schedule can get pretty unpredictable so I usually toss everything but liquid yeast in the freezer to wait until I get around to it.

Back