How long do extract brews need to stay in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrorange38

Reaction score
I've heard different answers on this over the years, so as I sit with my new carboy, I'm again wondering :) I only have one new carboy, and would like to wash it out and get a second brew going asap for halloween.

I usually transfer my beer from the primary to a corny keg for secondary , and later force carb'ing. However, I've heard that some beers should stay for weeks or longer in primary.

This beer I'm brewing now is a cooper's ipa. thanks for any advice on this.:mug:

The short answer: until its done :)

The long answer: Beers need to be in primary until the primary phase of fermentation is completed. When the gravity has stabilized over 2 separate readings 3 days apart then primary fermentation is complete.

Caveats:
1. If a yeast is notoriously slow to finish up then gravity needs to stable for a week.
2 If the beer is not attenuated to a reasonable final gravity then give it a swirl and wait another week.

Hope that helps ya out. I usually just primary for 2 weeks unless life gets in the way.

Bottom line - until it's done. Many will recommend taking a gravity reading at something like 10 days, then every couple of days until it stops changing. I brew pretty medium ales with extract and steeping grains. I leave it in the primary for 2 weeks, then bottle. It has always hit target gravity after 2 weeks. I let it bottle condition for 2 more weeks before refrigerating and drinking.

Edit: Damn! Kaconga beat me by seconds.

Some of my beers have taken 3.5 weeks to get down to a stable FG. Others' have taken 10 days flat to finish & clear up. It's done when it's done.

I don't have the info on how much you have brewed, but in general if it is a 5 % beer three weeks is plenty. That being said to take a couple of gravity readings is the right way and the safe way. If your in a hurry and not worried about quality and bottle bombs try two weeks but sooner or later you will have problems, and for most of us it is not worth it.:)

The yeast is a big factor in when it is done. Your best bet is to buy another fermentation vessel. Buckets are cheap, carboys are more...you'll find patience in a second vessel at no extra charge.

The yeast is a big factor in when it is done. Your best bet is to buy another fermentation vessel. Buckets are cheap, carboys are more...you'll find patience in a second vessel at no extra charge.

Good Advice!:mug:

Thanks. Unfortunately, I stepped on and broke my hydrometer while brewing this time ... so I have no way to measure gravity on this one. I guess I'll go back and get another plastic bottle from the supply shop (and a new hydro). While it's true the buckets are relatively "cheap", they seem to have gone up in price around here. I bought the plastic carboy because even a 6 gallon carboy was about the same price as the now 8 gallon buckets. About $25. It seems everyone is not carrying the old 6 gallon buckets anymore.

I guess without a hydro, I could probably just leave this brew in the carboy until the end of this month. That'll be about 5 weeks or so total.

Extract or all grain, I tend to let most beers sit for a month in the primary- long enough to make sure the yeast have cleaned up after themselves but not long enough for autolysis to set in.

Some styles are better younger, of course.

I am giving yet another thought- I dislike the character imparted by a long time in the primary, so I'm generally packaging my beer by day 10.

The key is to pitch the proper amount of yeast at the proper temperature, and the beer should be finished by day 5 or so generally, and then it has a few days at FG to clear and condition a bit.

You can see that there is a wide variety of preferences, from 5 days in the primary (yes some still do that!) to over a month. It really depends on the flavors your prefer.

I would still always check with a hydrometer no matter how long the beer was in the fermenter. Still, once the beer is no longer showing activity and is clear, it's probably done.l

I've heard different answers on this over the years, so as I sit with my new carboy, I'm again wondering :) I only have one new carboy, and would like to wash it out and get a second brew going asap for halloween.

I usually transfer my beer from the primary to a corny keg for secondary , and later force carb'ing. However, I've heard that some beers should stay for weeks or longer in primary.

This beer I'm brewing now is a cooper's ipa. thanks for any advice on this.:mug:

I've never had a Cooper's kit that didn't finish it's business in less than 5 days. Some of them took less than 3 days. Another 1-2 days to ensure complete flocculation, then take it out.

If you look at online vendors like NB or Midwest, you should be able to find primary buckets for less than $20. Yes, you'd have to pay shipping, but if you get a kit or two, then that softens the cost of shipping. As for primary, it all depends. Sometimes I'll rack after a week in primary, other times I let 'em sit 2-3 weeks. However, I've never bottled a beer in less than 2 weeks after brew day - even small session beers.

Till your gravity flatlines. Three consecutive readings over three days should be the same. Or just leave it for three weeks...your beer will be better for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Gentlemen,

I have brewing for 16 years but then quit for 5 years. I am now getting ready to brew this winter and noticed this thread on: 'time in the primary/secondary' and dropped in as maybe I could learn something.

Now my brewing recipes had evolved to 7-8 Lbs of DME,
mein seiben und acht pfund Hammerbier. Till the $35. jump in price put a stop to using DME. I never went back to LME I just started drinking store bought beer, as its cheaper.

I have one of those Hydrometers but never used it much. I left a batch of hammerbier in the primary for a week, reracked it to the secondary for a week, then to bottles where two months made it drinkable but 4-5 months made it real good!
I gave a six pack to a male nurse Allen and I was in the Hospital one day and he said back there in the lab. with all these nurses listening, that he really liked the home brew I had given him and he wanted some more. "Another 6 pack of Chrystal Bisquit? ... youuuu got it di-wee!"
And this one nurse started laughing like she was crazy. Laughed for 5 minutes she did saying finally:
"I wouldn't drink anything called Chrystal Bisquit made, brewed whatever by some guy with a beard who goes around quoting Barnes".

Then nurse Allen told how he drank one of Jack's beers and was drunk! {6 3/4%} he drank another and was feeling so good he said if he had been pulled over he would have fallen out of the car on his face laughing.

Now I know they were exaggerating but the point is that it was good.

Now I realize with brewing one recipe over and over, which was what I did one can kinda 'not use' ones Hydrometer but I have learned here this morning to study the use of the Hydrometer and to use it in my brewing to be more accurate in my timing.
Ultimately I will make whole grain but for now, at least a partial mash brew.

Thank you...

Jack the Knife

I'm an outlier. I've been homebrewing for about 15 years, and I recently upgraded to a kegerator and kegs, rather than bottling. I used to do a full week in the primary, then transfer to the secondary for about a week, then bottle and wait 2-3 weeks. This (at least 15 years ago when I learned) was textbook. I have recently bought a kegerator and started kegging my beers. I've also been going through beer very quickly, and have been brewing for a variety of events, etc. I've needed to turn around beer quickly, at times.
The last several beers I've moved from the primary to the secondary as soon as the airlock stops bubbling rapidly. Usually, this is about ~3-4 days, though sometimes it's as long as 7 days. I NEVER have left a beer in a primary for more than 2 weeks. It's a bad idea. The primary (plastic bucket), is not designed to be fully airtight. The primary relies on air pushing out any potential contamination. You're asking for contamination if you leave it in the bucket for weeks at a time.

I'll then leave in the secondary for ~a week, or whenever it stops doing anything for a couple days. I turned one around this past week that was only in the secondary for 2-3 days. The aeration helps speed up the process, and while you'll be fermenting some residual sugars after the fermentation slows, the beer really isn't doing much other than getting old.

When I started brewing 15 years ago, the advice was to move things along as soon as the airlock was bubbling less than once every thirty seconds. I still go by this. It works. I don't really get the new trend of allowing your beer to sit in the primary (which isn't particularly airtight), or the secondary (more common) for weeks. Why not put it in the bottle or the keg? It can still ferment residuals and is more airtight than in the secondary!

The other thing to keep in mind is that the hop flavor / character will mellow / degrade over time. Heavily hopped beers will get more bitter and less floral. I've done some complex beers - like a chocolate cherry imperial stout - that aged very well; but most beers are better fresher.

If you're bottling, you can ferment those residual sugars in the bottle, and it will, in my experience, produce a very good carbonation in the bottle (sometimes I've felt like the corn sugar produces an unsatisfying fermentation, even when waiting 3+ weeks in the bottle).
If you're kegging, I've been waiting a day or two after I keg before I force carbonate, to give it one last shot at fermenting the residual sugars. Because aeration/mixing it up ssems to speed up the fermentation process, transferring it 2-3 times will accelerate fermentation. If you notice when you transfer, you always get a quick jolt to the fermentation process, and then it slows / ceases.

Either way, my beer is generally awesome. I haven't been unsatisfied with anything I've ever brewed. A couple brews that I've rushed have tasted a little "young", but not necessarily in a bad way, and I'm not convinced it's due to anything I've done, but sometimes extract beers (especially those that use amber or dark syrup), can taste... well, syrupy. But sometimes other beers from other homebrewers taste rather stale or like they're "old".

The moral of the story is that sure, your beer may be a little crisper if you wait a few weeks in the secondary or age it in the bottle, but at least - when I started brewing, the advice was to move to the secondary as soon as you're not worried about exploding a glass carboy - ie - after 3-7 days!), but I don't understand why you need to age your beer in the primary or secondary, as opposed to in the bottles or in the keg. If you're bottling, it's going to be sitting for a couple more weeks regardless. You might as well get it into the bottles sooner (though you REALLY don't want explosions, which I've never experienced, but I've had friends who have).

Oh, another thing. I left my hydrometer at a friends house a few months ago / 10 batches ago. Everything is OK. I can estimate the amount of alcohol by the amount of fermentables. You watch to see it stop fermenting. You put it in the keg and serve. It tastes great. Every time you futz with your beer - and open it up to take a hydrometer reading, you risk contamination. I'm not insane about sanitation. I sanitize everything, but I'm not crazy about it. What I don't do is open up my beer to take hydrometer readings every day. I let it do its thing. When it stops fermenting, it's done.

I did take a break from homebrewing for about 5 -10 years. This had to do with prices of craft beer being low, and prices of homebrew being high. It has since changed (craft beer is more expensive, and homebrewing has stayed about where it was).... I don't know if the people on here are smarter than me, or just think they're smarter. This business about leaving beer in a primary for 3 weeks sounds absolutely insane to me. Move it to the glass as soon as you're not going to explode the glass. Move it to the bottles / kegs as soon as it's done fermenting. Then, if you want it to mellow, you can let it mellow. Or, you can serve it fresh. I think that part depends on the beer and the flavors you wish to get. If you're doing an IPA, and you let it mellow, you're undoing the hoppiness and just letting it bitter. It doesn't even make sense.

We all have our own ways of doing things, when it comes to fermentation. Some rack out of primary at a week, some two weeks, some three weeks, and some longer.
I have tried various methods of time and temperature, and have a system that now works fine for me. I pitch my yeast at 62-65*F, wait until solid activity has begun, and drop the temp down to 55*F until fermentation has stopped. It is not uncommon to leave the beer in the primary for a month or so before racking. There are some they profess if it stays on the yeast :"too Long:, the flavor is very different There are beers I make that may sit in primary for 4 or 5 weeks. I have never had bad tasting beer I let age in fermentor

I'm an outlier. I've been homebrewing for about 15 years, and I recently upgraded to a kegerator and kegs, rather than bottling. I used to do a full week in the primary, then transfer to the secondary for about a week, then bottle and wait 2-3 weeks. This (at least 15 years ago when I learned) was textbook. I have recently bought a kegerator and started kegging my beers. I've also been going through beer very quickly, and have been brewing for a variety of events, etc. I've needed to turn around beer quickly, at times.
The last several beers I've moved from the primary to the secondary as soon as the airlock stops bubbling rapidly. Usually, this is about ~3-4 days, though sometimes it's as long as 7 days. I NEVER have left a beer in a primary for more than 2 weeks. It's a bad idea. The primary (plastic bucket), is not designed to be fully airtight. The primary relies on air pushing out any potential contamination. You're asking for contamination if you leave it in the bucket for weeks at a time.

I'll then leave in the secondary for ~a week, or whenever it stops doing anything for a couple days. I turned one around this past week that was only in the secondary for 2-3 days. The aeration helps speed up the process, and while you'll be fermenting some residual sugars after the fermentation slows, the beer really isn't doing much other than getting old.

When I started brewing 15 years ago, the advice was to move things along as soon as the airlock was bubbling less than once every thirty seconds. I still go by this. It works. I don't really get the new trend of allowing your beer to sit in the primary (which isn't particularly airtight), or the secondary (more common) for weeks. Why not put it in the bottle or the keg? It can still ferment residuals and is more airtight than in the secondary!

The other thing to keep in mind is that the hop flavor / character will mellow / degrade over time. Heavily hopped beers will get more bitter and less floral. I've done some complex beers - like a chocolate cherry imperial stout - that aged very well; but most beers are better fresher.

If you're bottling, you can ferment those residual sugars in the bottle, and it will, in my experience, produce a very good carbonation in the bottle (sometimes I've felt like the corn sugar produces an unsatisfying fermentation, even when waiting 3+ weeks in the bottle).
If you're kegging, I've been waiting a day or two after I keg before I force carbonate, to give it one last shot at fermenting the residual sugars. Because aeration/mixing it up ssems to speed up the fermentation process, transferring it 2-3 times will accelerate fermentation. If you notice when you transfer, you always get a quick jolt to the fermentation process, and then it slows / ceases.

Either way, my beer is generally awesome. I haven't been unsatisfied with anything I've ever brewed. A couple brews that I've rushed have tasted a little "young", but not necessarily in a bad way, and I'm not convinced it's due to anything I've done, but sometimes extract beers (especially those that use amber or dark syrup), can taste... well, syrupy. But sometimes other beers from other homebrewers taste rather stale or like they're "old".

The moral of the story is that sure, your beer may be a little crisper if you wait a few weeks in the secondary or age it in the bottle, but at least - when I started brewing, the advice was to move to the secondary as soon as you're not worried about exploding a glass carboy - ie - after 3-7 days!), but I don't understand why you need to age your beer in the primary or secondary, as opposed to in the bottles or in the keg. If you're bottling, it's going to be sitting for a couple more weeks regardless. You might as well get it into the bottles sooner (though you REALLY don't want explosions, which I've never experienced, but I've had friends who have).

This is rather contradictory advice since increasing transfers also increases the odds of infection. The primary buckets may not be airtight but they are able to keep out unwanted microbes pretty much indefinitely. I am glad your system works well for you but it isn't what I would recommend to people since leaving the beer an extra week is not a danger but bottling two days early is.

Back