how long can you leave beer in a bucket fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All-Hail-IPA

Reaction score
I use a plastic bucket open fermentation system as my primary and I am currently working on a brew that calls for 2 weeks until racking to secondary. I read (homebrewers bible) that you should only ferment in an open system until the krausen falls back into the beer lest you risk contamination. Is this true or is it ok to ferment in the bucket for longer? Thanks!

Give us your definition of open system...

If temp is relatively constant and its got an air tight seal and a way for carbon dioxide to escape you will be fine for a very...very long time (if you manage keeping the airlock from drying up).

I have left beer in my primary bucket for 10 months without issue.

To me, open system is a bucket with no lid. If you put any kind of airtight covering on the bucket like a lid or even saran wrap it is no longer an open ferment.

I guess the book wasn't to clear on what open fermentation actually was...the way that it worded it I was under the impression that any bucket fermenter was an open system..doesn't make sense but I am naive so I just kinda went with it

Back