How long can you keep or store milled grains for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayni

Reaction score
I'm assuming this has most likely been asked before, but I couldn't find a definite answer with my google search since mostly bread grain came up. I've done all extract kits up to this but my husband bought me a kit for Christmas with basically half the recipe in grains, which was partially due to the recipe I wanted to do. He has been on my case a bit so the grains don't bad so I am mostly wondering long they can be stored being they milled it there. I'm not putting it off but I haven't really had the time since he purchased, so any info would be helpful regarding storage since or experiences with grain, especially since I want the best out of it that I can, TIA!
Jayni

As soon the grains are crushed and the inside part (starch) is exposed, its start to react with oxygen (oxidation).

As long you take to brew with this crushed grains, worse will be your beer. Well, maybe not "worse" but "less better".

Normally me and my friends use the rule of one week.

Brew in one week or less after crush the grains.

Cheers.

Crushed grains, according to NB, are fine if kept in a cool dry place for 4-6 months. I just leave them in the bag they ship them in and put them in a storage bin in my basement. I ordered several all-grain kits in November and don't plan on brewing 'till March.

Humidity is probably more of a factor than the oxygen. Keep them in a dry place, cool if available. In Ziplock bags and in the freezer will probably keep them fine for years.

I can't give a use by date but I would put the grains in a ziplock bag or better yet a vacuum bag removing as much air as possible. Then store them in the freezer. They should last at least a month that way. As already stated, the longer the less better.

I'm assuming this has most likely been asked before, but I couldn't find a definite answer with my google search since mostly bread grain came up. I've done all extract kits up to this but my husband bought me a kit for Christmas with basically half the recipe in grains, which was partially due to the recipe I wanted to do. He has been on my case a bit so the grains don't bad so I am mostly wondering long they can be stored being they milled it there. I'm not putting it off but I haven't really had the time since he purchased, so any info would be helpful regarding storage since or experiences with grain, especially since I want the best out of it that I can, TIA!
Jayni

I believe Denny Conn (who for all I know is lurking here somewhere) addressed this very question on last Experimental Brewing podcast.
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/impact-crushed-malt-age-beer-quality

the consensus from experienced brewers like Denny seems to be that provided the grains are kept in dry, reasonably cool place, they will last for a long time - many months easily - without any impact on beer flavor. This pretty much confirms what I have found myself as well. Fear of "oxidation" of grain is highly overstated.

By the way, Conn and Beechum podcast, Experimental Brewing, is super awesome and highly recommended. They are the "Click and Clack" Car Talk commentators of the Brewing community for sure.

Thanks! I'm gonna at least move them to a ziplock bag, since they've just been in the bag from the store, and in the basement, so its been cooler at least. Obviously it would have been ideal to do it asap, but life happens lol, hopefully I'll be able to do the batch in the next day or so, thanks for all the tips and feed back :)

Thanks! I'm gonna at least move them to a ziplock bag, since they've just been in the bag from the store, and in the basement, so its been cooler at least. Obviously it would have been ideal to do it asap, but life happens lol, hopefully I'll be able to do the batch in the next day or so, thanks for all the tips and feed back :)

That cooler basement is likely to have higher humidity which is a worse problem than the warm air upstairs. It still takes quite humid air to cause problems with the milled grains. Brew when it is convenient. Don't rush on account of the crushed grains.:rockin::mug:

Back