How Long can you keep a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherGrim

Reaction score
How long before brewing can I get a starter going. I normally start one, 24 hours later, crash it, 12 hours after that, decant and pitch. I won't be able to follow this schedule, so what is everyone else doing?

I just did 2x 1.5 liter starters for a lager, missed my brewing opportunity, got around to brewing about three weeks later. Decanted both starters, poured into chilled wort (I had let it sit in the ferm chamber overnight to cool) and it was bubbling less than 24 hours later, so I'm happy enough with the viability there.

Yeah if it sits in the fridge longer then say a week or two I would decant and add some fresh wort a day or two before brew day to wake the yeast up a bit. But many people save washed yeast in the fridge for a few months as a time so I can't imagine a starter being much different from that.

So you ran your starter for how long before you crashed it in the fridge?

I might be in the minority here but I usually leave my starters on the stir plate for 3 to 5 days to ensure they are completely fermented out. But I often times use yeast that has been in the fridge for a few months.

Back