How long can this stay in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ds0oc1

Reaction score
I brewed a batch this weekend not thinking I'm leaving for vacation on the 12th. I won't be returning from vacation until the 19th and really need to dry hop this beer.

How long can I keep this in primary on the yeast? This is a very hoppy pale ale.

With my plans to dry hop this and cold crash it will likely need to stay in the carboy for almost 4 weeks. Would this cause any issues? Should I move this to a secondary before I leave for vacation?

EDIT: Should have mentioned I used US-05.

That schedule sounds perfect. Leaving it on the yeast is almost never a problem unless we're talking about several months or years.

You shouldn't have any issues. I do lengthy primary conditioning phases on some of my higher ABV beers so long as the yeast strain isn't one that gives off too much character...that's a preference thing...but my recommendation would be to just leave your primary alone until you come back, then start dry hopping.

It's perfectly fine (and preferred) to let it go 3-4 weeks in the primary (including dryhop). No need to rack to secondary. Cold crashing is optional. Letting gravity work for you, not agitating the primary, and careful racking should be good enough in this case. If it is a very hoppy ale, you will probably have some hop oil haze anyway.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

I guess this will be a good test for me as I've never had anything in primary for longer than 2 1/2 weeks.

Maybe it will improve my beer :)

You can leave in primary for quite a few months. Dry hop a few days before you're ready to package, and you're golden.

Latest posts

Back