how long can I let the mash sit at temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdsutton

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the issue, I take my dog to the dog park every Saturday and Sunday morning. This is about three hours each day.
So.... the question is, can I let the mash sit for three or more hours, before doing the sparge?

Just a Noob Question.
Thanks for the replies.

You should be okay. You'll have to use more water to bring it up to Mashout temperature (or decoction) as it will likely have cooled considerably, and you'll want to mashout longer to make sure that you get all of the sugars back into solution. Maybe start with a thicker mash so there is less cold mass to bring back up to temp.
As long as everything is sanitary when you start I don't think that extra time before boil should hurt. Now if you were going to let it sit overnight that would be risky, but a couple extra hours shouldn't be too bad.

I think you'll be fine as long as your mashtun holds its temperature well. I remember reading some posts a few months ago where people were leaving their mash overnight with no ill effects.

Back