How long before tapping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbobble

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Just wanted to see what everyone was doing in regards to how long you let your beer set before tapping it. I brew 10 gallon batches and I usually let them sit in primary for about a month, rack into a keg, let it sit for a week at low pressure to carb and then enjoy. The thing is that it usually takes me about a month to drink a keg (depending on how thirsty the neighbors are, maybe both kegs) and I notice that the last week or two the beer tastes the very best. That or I just got used to the flavor....
I'm wondering if other people are noticing this in their brews and if they just wait 2 months before tapping or what.
What do you guys do?

Sounds like you are tasting the beer "too young". I normally force carbonate my keg at a high pressure and able to drink it the next day. Sounds like you should wait a couple weeks since it's just on low pressure, the full carbonation is what's making the beer taste better!

I usually keg when the beers are two to three weeks old, and start drinking them in about a week when they are fully carbed.

So, almost all of my beers are about three weeks old when I start drinking them. The exception is my stout- it takes a big longer for the flavors to meld together, and it's best at 6 weeks old or even a bit older.

Yup... I've noticed mine get alot better over time as well. I also sometimes drink only half and then re-tap a month or 2 later while rotating in the new batches..

Yooper said:
I usually keg when the beers are two to three weeks old, and start drinking them in about a week when they are fully carbed.

So, almost all of my beers are about three weeks old when I start drinking them. The exception is my stout- it takes a big longer for the flavors to meld together, and it's best at 6 weeks old or even a bit older.

3 weeks from the time you brew them?

3 weeks from the time you brew them?

Yes. Except for a few like my oatmeal stout (needs more time) or a Belgian triple. My beer is usually kegged at week 2, but sometimes week 3 if I dryhopped at the 2 week mark. Usually, it's left alone for a week or so, then dryhopped right in the fermenter at the end of primary, then kegged. It goes into the kegerator and is being consumed in week 3.

i usually leave in primary for 4 weeks then keg then i usually try and wait 2-3 weeks to start drinking it seems like a month in the keg is the best

I notice that the last week or two the beer tastes the very best. That or I just got used to the flavor....
I'm wondering if other people are noticing this in their brews and if they just wait 2 months before tapping or what.
What do you guys do?

I have been having the exact same problem you are. Try using the timeline on post 5 of this thread. It'll help you plan your brewing schedule before hand and you'll be able to tap your kegs just in time to be drinking your beers while they're in their prime.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/beer-calendar-96533/#post1050297

Excellent! Hey thanks for all the feedback. I'm trying to follow Yooper's schedule (because I really get anxious to try it) but I notice that it tastes better as I let it sit so I'm trying to exercise patience too. I just need to get a reliable schedule of a day off per month or two that I can brew so I can keep my fermenters/kegs full.
Thanks everyone.

Back