How long are co2 tanks supposed to last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randomnoob

Reaction score
I got home from work this morning and decided to have a nice cold beer. I got nothing from the keg. I guessed that it was empty, so I unplugged the kegerator and took a look inside the keg. It was over half full. Turns out that I have an empty co2 tank. Are the 2.5 pound tanks supposed to last more than half a keg?

I did all the leak tests with soapy water so it wasn't leaking...

I kept hearing about how much easier kegging is and all that, but so far it's been a bigger PITA than bottling.

With bottling, just put the beer in the bottles and let them sit for two weeks. But this, first my beer freezes. Then it's over carbonated, then I try to fix it and it becomes under carbonated. I try to fix that and it becomes over carbonated again. And now the tank is out of gas after two weeks even though it's not supposed to be and there were no leaks when I leak tested it.

So after I spend $10 getting the tank filled again, what should I do to find the really small leak?

How long are co2 tanks supposed to last?
The tanks have to be inspected every 5 years, but will last forever. :D

You have a leak! I use a 20oz paint ball tank for serving away from home and even that will push (edit: serve, not carb) a half dozen kegs easy. I'd take everything apart and redo it with lots of nylon tape and new gaskets and seals. You do have that quarter size nylon seal between the tank and regulator?

I kept hearing about how much easier kegging is and all that, but so far it's been a bigger PITA than bottling.

With bottling, just put the beer in the bottles and let them sit for two weeks. But this, first my beer freezes. Then it's over carbonated, then I try to fix it and it becomes under carbonated. I try to fix that and it becomes over carbonated again. And now the tank is out of gas after two weeks even though it's not supposed to be and there were no leaks when I leak tested it.

So after I spend $10 getting the tank filled again, what should I do to find the really small leak?

Fill up a spray bottle with soapy water, spray it on the valves and connectors and look for bubbles.

I get at least 5-7 kegs out of a 5#, that includes force carbing them. You definitely have a leak.

If you are able to isolate parts of your system finding the leak souldn't be too hard. If not, spray starsan solution on any connectors. It will foam up if there is a leak.

In general you need to re-tighten everything really well.

Getting a system setup and balanced is a little challenging at first. Things like getting longer beer lines, leaks, over-carbonation happen to everyone. Once you figure it out the whole process goes on auto-pilot.

Trust me - I know. I burned through 3-5# tanks the first few months affter I built my keezer. Since then, In 2.5 years, I've only lost 1/5 tank when one of my taps failed.

Sounds like all of your messing with the carb levels may have wasted a bit of co2. I'd spray everything with starsan and look for bubbles. If you can't find a leak then I would guess your carb battle drained the tank. Just set it to the correct psi and leave it. For me, If I want 2.3vol @41F I set it to 30psi for a day(no shaking/rocking), then knock it down to 11. So far they're drinkable in two days.

Another thing to double-check: the O-rings on your dip tubes. Triple-check all your O Rings, and invest in some keg lube. I replaced all the O rings on my kegs and haven't lost any gas yet (except for when I had some rhubarb fibers left in my beer when transferring to the keg and didn't filter 'em out. Let that be a lesson to you -- filter your beer when kegging, as the least little bit of trub will clog your poppet valves and cause you to lose CO2.)

i got my first set of bottle bombs this past weekend which is the reason why i'm going in to kegging. once you get bottle bombs, that cleanup/danger/worry will make you switch to kegging, REAL FAST - at least for me it did.

I think i got 18-20 kegs out of my last 10lb fill. that's using it to force carb/serve/purge headspace before racking to keg...

I got home from work this morning and decided to have a nice cold beer. I got nothing from the keg. I guessed that it was empty, so I unplugged the kegerator and took a look inside the keg. It was over half full. Turns out that I have an empty co2 tank. Are the 2.5 pound tanks supposed to last more than half a keg?

I got one 5 gallon keg from 4 5# C02 tanks. No, that's not a type-o. I have your same problem. I've stripped and re-stripped my kegerator rig 4 times, kegs, fittings, and o-rings. Then spray tested. I can't figure out what's leaking. My beer carbs perfectly, I set it to 12psi and two days later the C02 is gone.

I'm going to re-strip and re-test the whole setup again this weekend and try again. If it continues to happen I'm going to replace my regulator again I guess. I don't know what else to try at this point.

Before leaving the gas set at a certain pressure for days on end, you should test for leaks. Unhook all kegs, set the regulator for about 30psi, and close the tank valve. If the gauge doesn't move more than a hair or two in a day, you can trust the rig.

As I just posted in another thread:
Do yourself a favor and use 3/16" ID tubing and 1/4" barbs for both gas and liquid. You might need to install a new outlet barb on the regulator, but you'll avoid losing gas to unexpected leaks, which is fun for nobody. Also, with only one size to worry about, repairs and expansions will be that much easier.

Make sure you don't have any trub in your keg as that can lead to leaking poppet valves. Also, make sure you have good O rings on your dip tubes and under your posts.

Before leaving the gas set at a certain pressure for days on end, you should test for leaks. Unhook all kegs, set the regulator for about 30psi, and close the tank valve. If the gauge doesn't move more than a hair or two in a day, you can trust the rig.

What did when building my kegerator. I also hooked mine to a keg or two with water to see if the kegs where leaking. Found a couple issues and one big one by dunking the lines into a bucket of water as well. Once I was certain I had no leaks I hooked it all up, knock on wood, no issues. I get a little worried from time to time and will run out to the garage to check it, especially when adding a new keg of beer into it.

Curious though about how many kegs on a 20lb tank. I have had 2 empty, 4 on now and I'm at the warning blah blah... still has a ways to go but how low do you guys get it before you worry? Or do you let it run out all the way then get refilled? Is that ok to do if you don't check it say for a day it two and it's been out since?

I got one 5 gallon keg from 4 5# C02 tanks. No, that's not a type-o. I have your same problem. I've stripped and re-stripped my kegerator rig 4 times, kegs, fittings, and o-rings. Then spray tested. I can't figure out what's leaking. My beer carbs perfectly, I set it to 12psi and two days later the C02 is gone.

I'm going to re-strip and re-test the whole setup again this weekend and try again. If it continues to happen I'm going to replace my regulator again I guess. I don't know what else to try at this point.

Test the integrity of your lines and also where the tank connection meets the regulator body. Could also be a bad regulator, if your diaphragm seal is leaking.

What did when building my kegerator. I also hooked mine to a keg or two with water to see if the kegs where leaking. Found a couple issues and one big one by dunking the lines into a bucket of water as well. Once I was certain I had no leaks I hooked it all up, knock on wood, no issues. I get a little worried from time to time and will run out to the garage to check it, especially when adding a new keg of beer into it.

Curious though about how many kegs on a 20lb tank. I have had 2 empty, 4 on now and I'm at the warning blah blah... still has a ways to go but how low do you guys get it before you worry? Or do you let it run out all the way then get refilled? Is that ok to do if you don't check it say for a day it two and it's been out since?

I just let mine run out. If you don't check for a day or two and come back and it's been empty for a couple day that isn't going to change anything I guess unless your beer was JUST kegged. Once a keg is carbed the tank doesn't really do much until you pull beer from it.

I just let mine run out. If you don't check for a day or two and come back and it's been empty for a couple day that isn't going to change anything I guess unless your beer was JUST kegged. Once a keg is carbed the tank doesn't really do much until you pull beer from it.

Cool thanks, I wasn't sure if the beer could go flat or get beer in your gas lines.

If your tank is empty and you serve beer until it won't come out anymore, you can lose the seal on the keg lid. At that point your carb levels can decrease as CO2 comes out of solution and escapes the keg. There shouldn't be any concern with beer backing up into gas lines. I usually let the gas run out entirely before getting a swap, but I would like to eventually get a second tank that I can use for sealing lids and as a backup when one runs out, but that's just a want, not a need. I probably won't ever do it.

I can carb up and serve a 5 gallon keg with about a pound of co2. But I use more co2 for other stuff, when I jump beer from keg to keg, or when I use it to push the beer out of the fermenter to the keg. So I use a lot more than I need, if I was worried about the price of co2 vs how my beer turns out. I Have three 20 lb'ers and two 5 lb'ers. I just started looking for them and the co2 tanks found me. For the OP who is looking for a leak (and a second tank) do you have the gasket that sits in-between the tank and gauge?

You do have that quarter size nylon seal between the tank and regulator?

Not all set ups use a washer style gasket between the regulator and tank.
My Tap right Reg uses an O ring..

But for sure check, recheck all needed gaskets or o rings are installed, and nick free.
And the soapy water in a spray bottle is a great idea.. it works well to find leaks

Not all set ups use a washer style gasket between the regulator and tank.
My Tap right Reg uses an O ring..

But for sure check, recheck all needed gaskets or o rings are installed, and nick free.
And the soapy water in a spray bottle is a great idea.. it works well to find leaks

Yes I agree, but the co2 tank needs to have the correct face to mate with the O-ring. And on both my taprite/micromatic regs. the O-ring was smashed long ago and I use the washer with the smashed O-ring.

If your tank is empty and you serve beer until it won't come out anymore, you can lose the seal on the keg lid. At that point your carb levels can decrease as CO2 comes out of solution and escapes the keg. There shouldn't be any concern with beer backing up into gas lines. I usually let the gas run out entirely before getting a swap, but I would like to eventually get a second tank that I can use for sealing lids and as a backup when one runs out, but that's just a want, not a need. I probably won't ever do it.

Thanks, I acquired a second 5lb I use for just putting on a blanket and figured I'd use as a backup as well. I like the idea of having a small tank I can take camping or where ever...

Yes I agree, but the co2 tank needs to have the correct face to mate with the O-ring. And on both my taprite/micromatic regs. the O-ring was smashed long ago and I use the washer with the smashed O-ring.

Replace the damaged O ring :D might be a good plan :mug:

The valve on a CO2 tank like a home brewer might use (2lb to 200lb) valve is an industry standardized CGA320.. that style valve has a flat face... and unless damaged will work with a regulator using a serviceable O ring design..

IOW, no, it is not it is dependant on the valve... all the valves are the same (unless you are using some third world county or mix match valve not specified for use on a CO2 tank in the US in which case, good luck getting it filled)

Many regulators and/or tanks (two that I have owned) come with an adapter connected that are used instead of a washer. I had a tank with the o-ring accessory, which quickly flattened out and leaked, so I removed that part and used a fiber washer like normal. My current setup is a Micromatic regulator that has a nylon part built in and is designed to work without a washer. It works great. I highly recommend the upgraded Micromatic reg, it is excellent.

The valve on a CO2 tank like a home brewer might use (2lb to 200lb) valve is an industry standardized CGA320.. that style valve has a flat face... and unless damaged will work with a regulator using a serviceable O ring design..

IOW, no, it is not it is dependant on the valve... all the valves are the same (unless you are using some third world county or mix match valve not specified for use on a CO2 tank in the US in which case, good luck getting it filled)

Thanks for putting me in my place, maybe one day I will know as much as you.

I naturally carbonate my kegs, and my last 5lb tank lasted for 21 kegs;
back when I first set it up I did what masonsjax did - tested the co2 cylinder without the kegs first, when I was happy it held pressure for a few days, I knew the regulator and hoses/connects were good, then I connected the kegs and tested with soapy water. (though I'm not convinced the soapy water check would spot a real slow leak) I was fortunate in that my kegs were good from the start, but at least this way, if there was a problem, it would likely have been the kegs, and I would've looked there first.

Good luck, I know it can be a PITA to find leaks from experience on my old rig a few years ago during my first foray into homebrewing/kegging, I lost a couple tanks of co2 before I figured out it was the poppets had an almost impercebtable leak.

off topic, but I didn't brew for a few years, and during that time had sold my equipment...my thought being, I can just buy more if/when I get back into it; boy was I shocked when I came to buy kegs last year, the ones I got back in 2003 were $12 each....in 2012 OUCH!...I wish I'd stored them and not sold them :mad:

I keep three 20 lb'ers at the house and two 5lb'ers, of the two tanks I checked nether had a "valve has a flat face" Each one was a little different, some had nicks that showed the years of use. You do not know everything (cough) , but I support you sharing what you think you know.

I keep three 20 lb'ers at the house and two 5lb'ers, of the two tanks I checked nether had a "valve has a flat face" Each one was a little different, some had nicks that showed the years of use. You do not know everything (cough) , but I support you sharing what you think you know.

Perfect,, and now, replace that $.02 O ring you have that is worn out and your tanks will work perfectly without adding a washer it does not need.

To each his own, some prefer to fix things that are broke, others prefer to make it work any way they can.

If your system carbs and pours beer as you want.. Than it works for you :mug:

PS.. Guess what.. That picture you posted is a CGA320 valve,, Just like I said it would be :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I think the O-ring's, do and should work, after all Micromatic/taprite use them. I think I will try to pick up a large package of them and see if they hold with some or all of the tanks. But I had problems, I use a lot of co2. I take the gauges on and off all the time (I use jockey boxes at events). So with this heaver than most brewers use, I found a catch-all fix for the problem, that doesn't seem to hurt anything. IMHO. We should stop jacking the OP post, sorry OP.

Don't get me wrong, I think the O-ring's, do and should work, after all Micromatic/taprite use them. I think I will try to pick up a large package of them and see if they hold with some or all of the tanks. But I had problems, I use a lot of co2. I take the gauges on and off all the time (I use jockey boxes at events). So with this heaver than most brewers use, I found a catch-all fix for the problem, that doesn't seem to hurt anything. IMHO. We should stop jacking the OP post, sorry OP.

My apologies as well, did not intend to highjack the thread..

Gasket or O ring,,, buying a replacement is the same cost.. and you have a great point.. .If you frequently remove and replace the tank/ regulator,, a solid, more robust gasket will last longer.. making it a better choice :tank:

Now.. what was the OP's question??? :D

Back