How in the heck do I prevent boil over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricd7

Reaction score
Hello-

Just finished a 5 gallon batch of Sierra Nevada PA clone with my dad this morning. I have a keggle which I heat on propane and I started with 6 gallons of water (should have been 7, I will remember next time!) Anyway, as soon as I add my first batch of hops I get a huge rush up of bubbling and eventually a boil over. This has happened both times I have brewed. I would have expected that 9+ gallons of headspace would be more than enough to prevent this, but obviously I am wrong. I used 7.2lbs of LME and 1oz of pearle pelletized hops and after adding both (LME completely dissolved while off flame first) the boil-over occurs. I ended up adding hops at 2 more intervals during the brew and didn't boil over again, but the first time is frustrating. Is there a trick or something I am missing? Luckily I was in the garage and not the kitchen!

Other than that it was a great time with my dad. We recently lost my mom to cancer and I hope this can be something we can do lots of together. Thanks in advance guys!

ED7

hotspurdotus said:
Turn down the propane when adding hops and use a spray bottle to break the tension on top of the boil. Happy brewing!

+1.

Hops have negligible thermal mass (especially compared to the thermal mass of your wort). That means that adding them will not appreciably cool your wort, so it isn't a big deal to turn off the heat completely. It will immediately start boiling when you turn the flame back on.

Stirring will help as well. So will Fermcap, if you are interested in that. Some people don't like the idea because it contains silicone (I believe), but it is used pretty commonly.

I agree with hotspurdotus, a spray bottle is part of my brewday equipment.

When I add hops, I only add a few at a time to prevent boil overs. Duh!, turning down the heat is probably a better idea.

EDIT: plain ol' water when sprayed breaks the surface tension of the foam, anytime a boil over is ready to occur.

Very cool! Thank you, I am adding a spray bottle to my must purchase list now!

Thanks for the input guys. I will give these ideas a shot on the next brew day (gumballhead clone!)

A spray bottle is great but a pot watcher is even better. It concentrates the many small bubbles into a few large bubbles that break the foam and allow steam to escape. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U5ZLEY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I've never used it in larger than a 4 gallon boil so I can't say how much it will help in a keggle.

Last edited by a moderator:
In "How to Brew" there is mention of throwing a few pennies to the bottom of the kettle, page 81.
I have never tried that, I turn down the gas and use a spray bottle.

When I add hops, I only add a few at a time to prevent boil overs. Duh!, turning down the heat is probably a better idea.

EDIT: plain ol' water when sprayed breaks the surface tension of the foam, anytime a boil over is ready to occur.

This, for me. Granted I have a whopping two boils under my belt but a boil over on the first hop addition was my only real issue. I just added them more slowly on the second batch and every time since. Seems to work fine.

Back