How I turn a "plain" beer into a hop bomb...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I confess. I am a hop head. Never thought I would be as for a long time I hated hoppy beers, because for a period there hoppy meant bitter. Then a friend gave me a Heady and the light bulb came on. I have brewed many hoppy beers since then, and I am still chasing the dragon on getting one that is aromatic, flavorful, and lasts more than a few days to a week in the keg with that initial, wonderful taste and aroma. I will chronicle that here as I figure it out. I have been trying for over two years to get there, and one day I will. Until then, I have found a way to drink REALLY hoppy beers anytime I want and will share this with you folks! I will also share my process as I refine it and if I reach my end goal, will document that here as well.

So one thing I am doing lately is fermenting in my corny kegs. So what, you ask? I also bought some 400 mesh screen and I have silver soldered several keg dip tube screens. WHY? Because I dump pellet hops into the keg, no bag, just free float them. The start and end of my kegs are orgasmic! But I wanted more...something happens in the middle that is just plain, well, plain! I lose the aroma and flavor after about a week, and then the last few pours are beyond fantastic.

I am trying to "fix" this. I will find the right answer, whether it is LODO, or water salts, or how I steep, or whatever it turns out to be.

In the mean time, what I really wrote the post for, was to share with you part of my process that produces AWESOMEness from plainness! We all do it! We brew a beer that has flaws, or is not what we intended, or is not what we would love to drink for some reason or the other. It can happen for a lot of reasons and can even be on purpose. For instance, I brewed an Alaskan Amber clone for a company picnic. I made it lower in ABV because of the venue. I made 10 gallons and they drank about 6. What was I going to do with 4 gallons of very "plain" beer??

Well, I mentioned before I use screens and hop pellets, right? Well when that keg kicks, I have a lot of hop matter and a tiny bit of beer left. What if I put that in a growler and then filled the growler with that plain beer? What would happen. Oh man, what happens it awesomeness!! I have been filling that growler each night, shaking it up so as to mix all the hops into suspension, letting it sit overnight in the fridge, and then drinking it the next day. It is so hoppy and fantastically aromatic, I can't even begin to describe it. Try this, my hop head friends!! You won't regret it!

I will find the answer to brewing and kegging a beer that remains awesome from first pour to last, but until then, this method really works well. Hope this help another hop head out there! Cheers!

It sounds to me like the hops are floating at the top of keg, causing the last bit to be the best part? If that is the case, what if you were able to allow your dip tube to always suck from the top rather the bottom? I hate to throw another piece of equipment that you have to beg SWMBO to let you purchase but you may be interested in this:

http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/info.html

How long are you steeping/whirlpooling for after the boil? For hop bombs I usually steep 30 minutes after boil and stir regularly before running through my chiller.

Another fun way to dry hop a ready-to-serve beer is whole leaf hops in a french coffee press.

I like the growler dry-hopping technique as well - sometimes you just have to eat hops.

Damn, I just chucked the hop sludge from a Pliny the elder clone. It was pretty clean.
Are you saying I should take a crappy beer which is already carbed (got lots of those), rack it on the sludge, drink next day?

It did feel almost criminal throwing out all that dry hop goodness.

Totally agree with you about the hop head thing too. I always thought hoppy and bitter were the same thing. A good APA is a thing of beauty I reckon.

@Whatsgoodmiley Yep, been looking at that device and ALMOST pulled the trigger about 3 times and still may...hell I love toys, especially brewing ones! The thing that has stopped me is I was afraid it would clog...but then again, I could just wrap some 400 mesh around it and be done, if that didn't make it sink. Still thinking about that one...

@autoferret Oh yeah, done many, many times! Find I am getting more flavor and aroma out of free floating though! I have also clogged a few kegs that way...worst was at NHC Philly when my friend @sweetcell was giving a talk on hop growing and we were serving a beer that I dumped hops in the last minute in a bag. Those pros at NHC got it flowing though! ;>

@egravy81 I have been playing with steep times and reading a lot about it lately. Think I was doing it wrong before as I would chill to 170 and then steep instead of steeping at 200+. With a Pliney clone that is in the fermenter keg right now, I did a 30 minute at flameout, no chill until after 30. Hope that is better! I have a whirlpool device that spins the wort really well (Spincycle from BobbyM). Think that is definitely one of the things that might help! I eat a lot of hops!! :D

@Sadu Doh! Yeah, I think we all waste a lot of hop goodness by pitching them, because I swear they have a lot more to offer than a single dry hop or fermentation! Definitely take a less than stellar beer, rack it onto the hop sludge, shake it, refrigerate, wait up to 24 hours and pour. You will be amazed at how damn good that average beer is now! I was seriously thinking about drain pouring this amber to make room for the 2-3 beers I have fermenting, but now no way! I may just save the next few hop bomb remnants in growlers in the fridge and add to them whenever I want more hop goodness...

One other quick thought as to why my beers lose aroma and flavor. My kegerator is too cold! I will have to adjust it again, but I think this causes hop oils to drop out of suspension. When something is as allusive as this, it is usually more than one issue and I think the kegerator plays a part in this mystery.

Cheers all!

Back