How hot can yeast handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioBrewingTechnologies

Reaction score
A friend of mine brewed his first solo batch yesterday, and experienced the usual comedy of errors newer brewers go through.

The most worrying mistake is not using the immersion chiller long enough, and pitching the yeast while it was still hot. I asked if it was hotter than body temperature and he said yes. This was nottingham dry yeast, no starter. Should he pitch a new packet? Would the fermentation start faster due to the heat, if the yeast wasn't dead? Would fried yeast cause a bad outcome with repitching?

Thanks,
Dan

A friend of mine brewed his first solo batch yesterday, and experienced the usual comedy of errors newer brewers go through.

The most worrying mistake is not using the immersion chiller long enough, and pitching the yeast while it was still hot. I asked if it was hotter than body temperature and he said yes. This was nottingham dry yeast, no starter. Should he pitch a new packet? Would the fermentation start faster due to the heat, if the yeast wasn't dead? Would fried yeast cause a bad outcome with repitching?

Thanks,
Dan

If it was warmer than body temperature (98 F) then i'd assume the yeast were killed and pitch another packet of the same yeast. I don't see the harm (other than buying another packet). The alternative is to wait and see.

Yeast won't be killed until about 140*, so I doubt they're dead. But I'd say the real risk is how long were they fermenting at a really hot temp before getting down to something a little more appropriate for the strain?

I learned my lesson about fermenting at proper temps when I made a batch in my house at the peak of summer before turning on my A/C. It probably fermented at 85*... talk about a yeasty beer. It tasted like bitter orange peel, lemon juice, and sour yeast. Horrible.

And also, Nottingham was used and if the wort is pitched with it again something to consider: In my experience Nottingham has been a yeast that takes time to get noticed once pitched.

It is slow to get started. So, maybe it is not in its time, or, if repitched don't give up on it in only a few days.

Send your friend to this forum and have him/her read and read and read some more.

tell em good luck from me.

Dude, I've done this...pitched around 120 and it finished totally fine. I'd say RDWAHAHB. Worst comes to worse on the 3 day take a whiff, if it doesn't smell like fermenting beer, then pitch the new yeast. Yeast actually like the warmer temps, just more likly to produce off flavors at super high temps. Since that temperature was only held briefly it shouldn't impart too much flavor. Like Kazimon said, its worse to hold the temp high for days than a quick shock.

Better than over-pitching more yeast that's for certain.

And also, Nottingham was used and if the wort is pitched with it again something to consider: In my experience Nottingham has been a yeast that takes time to get noticed once pitched.

It is slow to get started. So, maybe it is not in its time, or, if repitched don't give up on it in only a few days.

Send your friend to this forum and have him/her read and read and read some more.

tell em good luck from me.

I've tried getting him on the forum...But we'd be lucky if he ever brews again!

Dude, I've done this...pitched around 120 and it finished totally fine. I'd say RDWAHAHB. Worst comes to worse on the 3 day take a whiff, if it doesn't smell like fermenting beer, then pitch the new yeast. Yeast actually like the warmer temps, just more likly to produce off flavors at super high temps. Since that temperature was only held briefly it shouldn't impart too much flavor. Like Kazimon said, its worse to hold the temp high for days than a quick shock.

Better than over-pitching more yeast that's for certain.

Noted. Thank you.

Back