How harmful are low ferment temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For most ale yeasts (English, US) I primary in my crawlspace which is a constant 66oF-67oF. I wouldn't want to go much lower than that and definitely don't want to see it spike above 70oF. After primary, I will bring it up to ~70oF for a day or two, then rack to secondary and leave it at 66oF-67oF. Once I keg it, I try to get it as cold as possible (easy to do this time of year out in my garage) for a few days before putting it on CO2.

Lager yeast, I monitor like crazy! Primary at ~46oF-48oF until the krausen falls, then do a two day D'rest at near 70oF. I then rack it to secondary and let it get as close to freezing (~36oF-38oF) as possible for as long as I can stand it!:D At least six weeks. I also am beginning to use gelatin to clear it in secondary during this time.

German and European Ale (Kolsch, Alt), Steam/Cali Common, I'll primary like an English or US ale yeast, but secondary like a lager.

Belgian or Saison yeast, I'll try and get above 70oF, especially if I'm trying to bring out any bubble gum/clove/banana esters. After primary, I'll treat it the same as any other ale yeast.

And if you really want to know what the temperature is inside your fermenter/carboy, you need a thermowell! That may be my next big purchase for fermenting lagers.

Using Ale yeast for a Pale in a glass carboy.

Do you think a closet that reads ambient 59/60f will be fine to ferment in? My hopes are that while fermenting, the yeast will maintain a temp in the low to mid 60's due to fermentation, and then post fermentation temps will drop to a high 50's low 60's where it can clarify.

Do you think the fermentation will support enough heat to prevent it from going dormant?

My other option is a living room that is 66f ambient, which I assume will be too hot with the added fermentation temps.

All Belgian strains I have used so far seem to work best in the low-to-mid 70's. I cool to mid 60's for pitching and just let them run their course at room temp 72-74*F. The few times I have fermented cooler I am not happy with the yeast character... too clean! Also the Belgian ale strains seem to kick off sulfur at lower temps which is not desirable. If there are exceptions, I'd like to hear them! :)

The English ale yeasts I keep in the mid 60's since they are prone to early flocculation. I also rouse the yeast daily during primary fermentation to minimize residual diacetyl (keep those yeasties in contact with the beer).

Other ale strains I have used - Notty, Cali, Kolsch - all do very well at 60*F. The Kolsch is my favorite for pale beers, it produces a very lager-like flavor profile around 60*F with a high pitching rate.

Sorry, this is in preparation for my first brew.

Danstar Windsor and Nottingham are the ones I can find locally.

So with Nottingham at 57-70, and Windsor at 64-70, I'm planning
on using Nottingham. I'm trying to brew a clean pale ale and it seems
Nottingham in a room that is registering 59-61 on an empty carboy
will fall into the mid 60's during fermentation.

Being my first brew, and temp unmodulated, Nottingham seems to
have that extra low range buffer I may experience as it gets colder
in my exterior facing closet.

*Finishes Arrogant Bastard Ale*

Edit - I could order other yeast, but Nottingham seems right, and it
just feels like I might be getting fresher yeast from a LHBS.

+1 for notty as well. I have brewed about 20+ batches with that stuff anywhere from 59°F to 78°F without a problem. In the summer it gets warm in ferment closet and in the winter a little cooler, yet the notty doesn't seem to mind. In fact, the 62° range seems to be best. I guess I could do some sort of controlled study, but I have enjoyed all my beers so far and never felt compelled to "root cause" any off-tasting beer.

Latest posts

Back