How fast do you consume 5 gallons of home brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually 5g is about 4-6 days for me. Lol i dont keep em around long enough or brew often enough to get a pipeline going.

Depends on how good it is. Brewing 5 gallon batches all the time, usually a month to take down one since at least 3 others are being consumed at the same time.

This pretty much sums me up. I keep 4 beers on tap, usually takes a month or two per beer, although if I have a party my IPAs tend to go in an evening :drunk:

I don't know how you guys drink so fast.

I used to brew 5 gal extract/pm kits and bottle them. It would take me a while to drink them but I always felt bad getting rid of the last few.

Then I started kegging. I found that even if I really liked the beer, it took me 3-4 months to go through it. I give maybe 25% of it away, and my gf doesn't drink beer, so the other 3-4 gals or so was just me. Like others said, I'd get bored with it so I'd go out and buy bottles or commercial beer.

After probably 6 or 8 5gal kegs that lasted FOREVER, I decided to move to 2.5gal BIAB brews, and keg them. With that I can manage the 2.5gal myself without getting sick of it, BIAB saved me some money, and I got to make better beer - win, win, win. Assuming I don't share, and all I drink is out of 1 keg, it now takes me maybe a month to make it through 2.5gal. My fridge holds 3 kegs at a time, and I just bought my 6th keg, so I always have a keg or two on hand, ready to replace an empty. My *big* or non-session beers I still like to bottle, knowing that most people wont have more than 1 in a sitting, and that will just tie up a keg spot for months.

Probably 2 months so I'm on the slow end it seems. It really depends on the beer style. I brewed an ordinary bitter and with the lower abv and drinkability that disappeared quickly. I was drinking it with most meals. Non-session beers I tend to drink one at a time and when I have the time to enjoy them so they tend to last a while.

I also mix in some store bought beers for styles that I don't want 5 gallons of - so that adds time as well.

I have no idea how some of you drink so much beer. I'm not criticizing, I wish I could do it. If I did, I'd be incredibly lazy and get nothing done and I'd be 300lbs. So more power to those of you who can.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
I have no idea how some of you drink so much beer. I'm not criticizing, I wish I could do it. If I did, I'd be incredibly lazy and get nothing done and I'd be 300lbs. So more power to those of you who can.

I'm lazy, I get nothing done and I'm 300 lbs... That's how.

I'd say about 2-3 months so I seem to be on the longer side two. I think the quickest I ever killed a keg was 1.5 months. My SWMBO doesn't drink beer so other than a few give-a-ways it is just me.

My average is about a case per week, but I have killed an entire 5 gal batch in a little less than a week by myself. I am a seasoned alcoholic though and I can drink a six pack just while making dinner and not even realize it. I just keep subconsciously going back to the fridge.

For me, hard to say, since I usually have parts of 7 or 8 batches sitting on the shelves. Estimation on the basis of 2 a day, which is pretty normal = a batch a month. Then there's SWMBO, who's less than that , maybe another 1/2 batch. Of course, that goes up if we have house guests or a get-together......

Ugh. That's awful. Almost defeats the purpose of a kegerator. Better bring multiple glasses or bottles back right?

yeah it usually works out all my pint glasses end up in the house ontop of the fridge, and no glasses in the beer shed, so I have to carry them all back out every couple days..

But when I was using 1 tap mini frige in the house I could kill 5 gal in a couple weeks....i'd have 2-3-4 almost every night....now it's 1-2 a few nights a week since I have to walk....I have a TV out there but no cable lol

4 months minimum. usually about 4-6 months.

i have a 1.5 gallon tap a draft in the fridge that usually lasts about 2 months.

about once a month i bring in 6 bottles for people at work to share. i try not to drink to much beer!

Lately with a keg its more (hard not to pull on that handle). I need to get back to our original level. I guess over our first 5 batches its about 5 weeks per 5 gal batch for 2 adults and some friends. Plenty of commercial brews sprinkled in also though for stockpiling of bottles.

30 days. I get about 60 bottles out of a 5 1/2 gallon batch, and my girlfriend and I will have about one each per night.

The Oktoberfest I'm storing in the basement really screwed up my pipeline.

one week tops om any of my brew and im usually the only one drinking if i have friends come over i can kick 5 gallons in hours

Completely varies here depending on what's going on. Just standard having a few here and there it'll probably take roughly 3 weeks for a batch. Now if you count a weekend watching football, me and my friends will plow through the better part of 5 gallons during a game. And lets not even go into holidays with the family....speaking of I should probably get inventory up for Thanksgiving!

I savor it. 45-60 days or so. I usually keep some beer of lesser quality in the fridge as well, so I don't guzzle it all down too quickly.

I've cut down drinking so much since, I moved the kegorator out into the brew house...Now I have to walk across the yard for a beer LOL.....

I have the opposite problem. My kegerator is in the house, but I spend 90% of my beer drinking time in the garage (separate from the house). So I fill a 32 oz. growler and take it to the garage in a cooler every night. :rockin:

Five gallons in our house usually lasts 6-8 weeks. I also like switching up beers that include commercial microbrews and homebrews. On average friends and family consume 6 to 12 beers out of the five gallon batch. This is also dependant on how many friends my son (now 23) brings over. (beers tend to vanish very quickly). LOL

I have the opposite problem. My kegerator is in the house, but I spend 90% of my beer drinking time in the garage (separate from the house). So I fill a 32 oz. growler and take it to the garage in a cooler every night. :rockin:

I was just going to suggest a growler to this guy, but 32 oz? WTF, go big or go home! :mug:

Nice, I need to start doing that! On another note...It is a good problem to have. :rockin::rockin::rockin:

I'd say 3-6weeks for me (with my wife drinking a few), depending on the brew. I don't only drink the homebrew, so it depends on the season and what else is in the house. I'm always a sucker for mix-packs for Sam Adams, Harpoon, Magic Hat, Boulder, etc.. so that sometimes slows things down...

With the three taps going I'd guess we average a gallon on the average week. My drinks a pint here or there and I have a couple every night. Generally I end up having a party now and then to clear up some space for other beers I have ready that I want to get on tap. Plus I always like trying new beers so I pick up odds and ends at the bottle shop every so often.

Well last night i had planned on bottling a 12 pack for different purposes but in the process of filling the first bottle i killed the keg. :-( i had made a super tasty Indian brown ale that lasted only a week.

Two people here takes a little over two weeks. It would probably take less if we had more around, which with two fermenters going now will soon be the case! :D

I bottle in flip top liter bottles, so it take me about 23 days to drink 5 gallons.

Resurrecting this thread since I was thinking of asking the question. Just trying to gauge if I'm turning into an alcoholic or not haha. I'm the primary beer drinker in my household and finished my last 5 gallon pumpkin by myself in just under 2 weeks. Though, that was with the Thanksgiving break and having a few extra that day. I drink about 24-48 ounces a night on average.

I brew with my girlfriend. We trade off, I brew a beer I want, she brews one that she wants. Generally it doesn't go super fast, but sometimes we brew a beer we both like, like a pale ale with oak. Plans were to leave it soaking in oak for a while in the keg. Killed it in a weekend.

Lol

Depends a lot, me and my girlfriend couls take 2 months, having three taps some may live 4 to 6 months, but last year december 31, I put two news 5gal at 3Pm, 12H later nothing left...

It depends on what kind of disaster they have for me at work on any given day.

Sometimes 4 days, sometimes 4 weeks for a 5 gallon keg.

House beers like my pale ale will make it 3-4 weeks. Others like my oatmeal stout, porter or IIPA will last more than a month, but not more than 3-4 months. I just finished off a wheat beer that was 3.5 months old and have the second corney of that 10 gal batch freshly tapped. With this said, I do get a six pack of a craft brew almost every week and have at least 3 different beers on tap at a time and some bottled.

5 gal = about 19L = about 38 UK pints. If its just me that could last a couple months, especially if I have 2 or more on the go. If I have friends over, that could last 5 hours.

if i give away a couple six packs of the stuff it might be gone in a month if I'm lucky. I gotta get my roommates to drink more of my stuff.

I took a full 5 gal keg to poker night once. 5 guys + 5 hours = empty keg. I was shocked when it blew. That was the last time I took a keg to poker night.

if i give away a couple six packs of the stuff it might be gone in a month if I'm lucky. I gotta get my roommates to drink more of my stuff.

Ahh the classic homebrewer's mentality. My friends always feel like theyve committed a crime when a kege kicks during their pour. I am happy I get to put the next one on tap!

(This mentality only works when you have an adequete pipeline. When I am running low I tell them to grab a commercial brew after the first 2 or 3 pints)

2-3 weeks for me by myself. A lot faster than that if friends are stopping by frequently.
There for a while I had some friends that were starting to take the free homebrew thing for granted. Never around when all the work is being done. It's like they just think that beer magically appears in the keggerator or something. I finally put a tip jar on the keggerator and my consumption rate has become a little more manageable :D

I thought this was a challenge... :(

But it would seem in my home we go through about 5 gallons in 4-7 days on average.

I thought this was a challenge... :(

But it would seem in my home we go through about 5 gallons in 4-7 days on average.

How many are drinking on the keg?

At least this thread makes me feel less of an alcoholic haha. I'm more the norm it seems at average 2 weeks per keg.:mug::ban:

Back