How does this recipe look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout-n-Braggot

Reaction score
I have some wild yeast, and certainly a few other microbes, that I harvested from raw honey (I'm lucky to have a beekeeper for a father, all the honey I could ever want to use), so far it has gotten some good mead going and is nice for carbonating single bottles of specialty soda pop. Anyhoo, I pitched some into a malt starter a few months ago and have noticed some wonderful changes and progressions in aroma and flavor. I'm planning on making a somewhat mild beer for summertime drinking (summer of next year, I know that the soured beers need a good bit of ageing and conditioning) and I want to hear what you all have to say about my tentative recipe.

Fermentables (long, low temp mash for maximum fermentability)

4 lbs 2 row
2 lbs red wheat
2 lbs flaked rye
1 lb Raspberry blossom honey (add during cool-down)

Hops
2 oz stale Hallertauer Hersbrucker (enought to get IBUs to about 15)

OG estimate: 1.47-1.52
FG estomate: 1.010-1.007
ABV: ~5%

How does it look?

I've tossed around the idea of using this wild yeast for a fruit lambic too, a friend and I decided that the flavors it produces might go well with apple...
I've got plenty of the yeast stored away, so any recipe suggestions for the future are apreciated as well!

Lower the hops, 1 1/2 ounces or maybe even 1 ounce will do. The sourness will help balance.

Lower the hops to almost nothing or use old hops with little to no AA%

also, the long low mash is not needed as the microbes wiii take the gravity down regardless.

Just wanted to say that this recipe is an epic win! My wild yeast and microbe blend didn't produce the sourness I expected, even after over a year in the carboy, but the flavor is very nice, plays well with the grains, and there is a pleasant hint of sour in the background. I'll play around with different methods to see about bringing out more sourness.

good drinking!

Wow, I was almost going to comment on the recipe but holy crap, way to revive a dead thread you made a long time ago!

Back