How does this hefe look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batches_brew

Reaction score
Racked to secondary.

2782995025_0dfeb0d8c9.jpg

It seems a little dark but it looked amberish in the glass.

OG 1.045 now 1.012.

I tasted the sample and it was amazing. Definite banana esters If it gets better from here, ah man, it will be good.

My only fear is secondary contamination, but I scrubed it well, then sanitized it so it should be good.

:ban:

It was an extract brew, so maybe the extract got darker in the boil. It sure tastes like hefe though. I'm stoked.

Racked to secondary.

2782995025_0dfeb0d8c9.jpg

It seems a little dark but it looked amberish in the glass.

OG 1.045 now 1.012.

I tasted the sample and it was amazing. Definite banana esters If it gets better from here, ah man, it will be good.

My only fear is secondary contamination, but I scrubed it well, then sanitized it so it should be good.

:ban:

Beer looks fine, congrates!:)

Don't sweat the contamination.

Some people don't secondary a Hefe. I still do because I get some more sediment off the beer prior to bottling and kegging.

Looks good to me! It's probably a little darker only because it is an extract brew. The only way to get a light color with extract is to do the "late extract edition" method. I've never done it, but I hear you get a much lighter color.

The darker color will have no effect on the flavor though, so it looks like you are in for one nice beer.

Beers in glass carboys ALWAYS look darker than they really are, due to refraction and the thickness of the walls...Don't worry, it will look different when it is in your glass.

:mug:

Obligatory science explanation done in small print:

Refraction
In addition to reflecting light, many surfaces also refract light: rather than bouncing off the surface, some of the incident ray travels through the surface, but at a new angle. We are able to see through glass and water because much of the light striking these substances is refracted and passes right through them.
Light passing from one substance into another will almost always reflect partially, so there is still an incident ray and a reflected ray, and they both have the same angle to the normal. However, there is also a third ray, the refracted ray, which lies in the same plane as the incident and reflected rays. The angle of the refracted ray will not be the same as the angle of the incident and reflected rays. As a result, objects that we see in a different medium—a straw in a glass of water, for instance—appear distorted because the light bends when it passes from one medium to another.

refraction.gif

The phenomenon of refraction results from light traveling at different speeds in different media. The “speed of light” constant c is really the speed of light in a vacuum: when light passes through matter, it slows down. If light travels through a substance with velocity v, then that substance has an index of refraction of n = c/v. Because light always travels slower through matter than through a vacuum, v is always less than or equal to c, so . For transparent materials, typical values of n are quite low: = 1.0, = 1.3, and = 1.6. Because it is the presence of matter that slows down light, denser materials generally have higher indices of refraction.
A light ray passing from a less dense medium into a denser medium will be refracted toward the normal, and a light ray passing from a denser medium into a less dense medium will be refracted away from the normal. For example, water is denser than air, so the light traveling out of water toward our eyes is refracted away from the normal. When we look at a straw in a glass of water, we see the straw where it would be if the light had traveled in a straight line.

strawrefraction.gif

Given a ray traveling from a medium with index of refraction into a medium with index of refraction , Snell’s Law governs the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction:

n1sintheta.gif

Crap-all if I understand it all, but it looks cool!

my extract hefe's turn out that color as well, but they are damn tasty and that's what matters. i tried the late extract on my last one. its a bit lighter, but not by much. enjoy!

one if my carboys has a slight blue tint to it, almost unnoticeable when it's empty. I put my red ale in it to secondary and the beer looked black, when I pour it into a glass it's very transparent with a slight reddish tint.

Thanks for the science, Revvy. That's awesome. I thought that might be the case.

As far as the records, what do you want to know? They are circular, with grooves, and get this, they aren't read with lasers. ;)

I've been collecting my whole life. I still have a couple of my Sesame Street records. The top row is Jazz, reggae, and international. The lower rows are classic hip-hop. have another shelf with classic rock and funk. Then I have 80s, and some other stuff. I have a few, but I need more. It's far from a collection to melt your face, but there's some heat in there.

Here-here about the vinyl! Guess you'll have enough celebration music when you decide to fill a glass of that hefe.

Why secondary anyways?

I kinda regret it now. Look how clear this is.

2798610391_af1f7cbe88.jpg

This was a sample off the top of the carboy at bottling time, so hopefully when I racked it to the bottling bucket I kicked up some yeast because this is pretty clear. It tasted great but it seemed to be missing some of that yeastiness of a cloudy hefeweizen.

This was my second batch and it went off really well so far. OG 1045 FG 1010. Exactly what I was shooting for. It tastes great but a little green, I think. At the end of the day, I think this will be a very refreshing beverage.

Latest posts

Back