How does my crush look - first time crushing my own grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeygreg44

Reaction score
I got a Captain Crush a few weeks ago and I am now just trying it out. I have the gap set to the recommended settings, but I am wondering if my crush looks good or do I need to adjust my gap width. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404404383.529407.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Hard to say from the picture. Look for whole grains. You don't want many. Just a few in the whole batch. How fine you can go is determined by your equipment. You do not want to completely shred the husks but you want it, pretty much, as fine as you can go without having a stuck sparge.

Soak 10 lbs of it in 4.25 gallons of water at 148F for an hour and check the gravity. Best way to tell if your crush is good.

that picture wont tell much. what gap setting is it set to? as kh54 said, get it as fine as you can without a stuck sparge. might take 2-3 batches to figure it out for your equipment.

I brewed up a Honey Kolsch yesterday and I did not have a stuck sparse and I was very close to my numbers even though I boiled off a little too much, oops. I'm going to brew again next weekend to see if I get similar results. Thanks for all of the feedback!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back