How Does Honey Effect Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewchick3

Reaction score
I'm brewing a mini mash kit I purchased. It's a New Zealand Honey IPA. A pound of honey was added after the boil before chilling the wort. Of course I don't have my notes in front of me so I'm not sure of the exact yeast, but it was a White Labs liquid ale yeast. Anyway, there was nothing happening with the airlock in the first 40 or so hours, but a thick krausen had formed, so I knew it was fermenting. This morning I checked the airlock again and pulled it out to find that the krausen had reached the bottom of the airlock. When I put it back in, it started bubbling. This is my fourth batch and never have I had that much krausen so that it reached almost the top of the bucket and with no activity in the airlock for that long. Just wondering if this is due to the honey. Not sure how the honey effects the fermentation as this is my first time brewing with it. I'm not concerned about the brew since it's obviously fermenting away, more curious about the science of it all and if anyone has had this experience when brewing with honey. Thanks!

It's very common for krausen to reach the top of the fermter. Thats why blow off tubing is used with carboys. usually a big rise in krausen is from an extremely active fermentation. Honey is a simple sugar for yeast to eat so it'll ferment out very easily and make the yeast really active.

What he said. The honey will be fermented very quickly increasing the volume of CO2 exiting your wort per unit time. Add that to the extra proteins from a higher than normal grain bill and the extra oils in the beer from all those hops and you get a beautiful luscious Krausen.

Thanks! I'm hoping I will also have a luscious beer when this is all done! It seems to be a nice combo of hops and honey so when I saw this kit, I had to try it.

Also, since the sugars in honey are almost 100% fermentable that nice honey sweetness will mostly be gone leaving the remaining flavor components...which are not necessarily tasty depending upon the variety of honey. So, chose your honey variety wisely. Presumably those who designed the kit you are using chose well.

I just finished honey kolsch that had a pound of honey, It did ferment out clean but there is a nice honey smell and a good amount of honey taste. Like others have said not so much the sweet honey taste. It works good in the kolsch making for a really clean drinkable afternoon sipper.

Anyway, there was nothing happening with the airlock in the first 40 or so hours, but a thick krausen had formed, so I knew it was fermenting. This morning I checked the airlock again and pulled it out to find that the krausen had reached the bottom of the airlock. When I put it back in, it started bubbling.

Your airlock was not bubbling because you didn't have it quite in place. When you pulled it out, then re-inserted it, it sealed properly and so you saw the bubbles. For what it's worth, a krausen pretty much always means you're good to go and fermentation is rockin. Regardless of what your airlock is doing.

Your airlock was not bubbling because you didn't have it quite in place. When you pulled it out, then re-inserted it, it sealed properly and so you saw the bubbles. For what it's worth, a krausen pretty much always means you're good to go and fermentation is rockin. Regardless of what your airlock is doing.

Yes, if you had krausen forming then you had mucho CO2 being produced also.

Back