How does active fermentation affect pH and TA readings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainProg

Reaction score
In what way (if any) does active fermentation affect (a) pH and (b) TA?

I've recently learned how to measure titratable acidity (TA) and have practiced on a white wine which is undergoing active (anaerobic) fermentation. The TA reading is a little high (7.6 g/l, whereas a 'good' range for a white wine is somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5g/l). However, I'm also finding that the pH seems lower than it was prior to fermentation (2.47 as opposed to 3.45 prior to fermentation).

I understand that the CO2 present during active fermentation can "throw off the pH reading", but I don't know in what direction; nor whether this would affect TA also.

Before measuring post fermentation pH, de-carbonate the beer. Fermentation that begins at ~5.2 pH should terminate at ~3.9 to 4.4 pH. The lower end is more common for Ales, and the higher end is more common for Lagers.

I've never heard of any concern for titratable acidity in Beer. You are not likely to be modifying the acidity post fermentation.

These are wines, not beers (there is no 'brew science' forum under the wines section). I guess the same principles would apply to both, and my question is how pH and TA are affected by active fermentation.

In what way (if any) does active fermentation affect (a) pH and (b) TA?

This is the Brew Science forum. Not the Wine forum. Perhaps a moderator will consider moving this thread so you will receive proper answers.

Latest posts

Back