How do you use the measuring thing on the starsan bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
Seriously, I've been brewing for a while and have never figured this out. I always end up just pouring an ounce into a shot glass to measure it out. I've tried every different cap on/cap off combo I can think of and I still can't get it to flow into the measuring part with any consistency. How the hell does that thing work?

Keep the cap on the main opening closed and the cap on the measured opening open, then squeeze the bottle. The starsan should flow up the tube on the side to fill up the little measuring space. It's actually a pretty slick design.

you leave the cap on the main bottle, then take the cap off the small container part.
Squeeze the bottle and the liquid will work it's way up the side and start filling the small ounce container....stop when you get to the point you want. It's quite easy.

I swear I've tried that and had no luck. It seems like I could get some liquid in there, but always had trouble getting the full ounce. Then again, maybe I'm just retarded.

Ah, I just read in the other thread where someone mention that the big bottle is harder to squeeze. Maybe that's why I've had issues.

I never do a full ounce anyway. I always mix about 2 1/2 gallons of water with 1/2 oz. starsan. It definitely saves money.

I never do a full ounce anyway. I always mix about 2 1/2 gallons of water with 1/2 oz. starsan. It definitely saves money.

I always mix up 5 gallons at a time and then save it for reuse in gallon water jugs.

I swear I've tried that and had no luck. It seems like I could get some liquid in there, but always had trouble getting the full ounce. Then again, maybe I'm just retarded.

Ah, I just read in the other thread where someone mention that the big bottle is harder to squeeze. Maybe that's why I've had issues.

I have the big bottle and it works fine. The caps on the starsan bottles suck and break easily. If there is any air escaping around the main cap, that will prevent the liduid from being pushed into teh measuring portion. I hold my palm over the main cap and press down to ensure a good seal, then squeeze.

I had my oops with it on sunday. was prepping my primary and the wife distracted me and I opened the wrong end and poured a bunch in the primary. money down the drain.

I had the same issue, then I realized that I need to let some air in. So, if starsan bottle isn't moving any liquid into the small container, let go, remove the other cap, rescrew it on, then try again. Worked for me.

I have a small 50ml labeled glass lab test jar from aquarium water testing kits (PH n stuff) - they are neatly labeled, so I have figured out that 7ml of starsan concentrate are good for 2l water (with the ~25% buffer, exact measure was about 5ml to 2l, but I figure that there will be losses during transfers/etc) - this will probably help people who are ounces and inches challenged, as I am myself.

I don't know how I would have gotten thru my first brew without this stuff. The design of the bottle is one of the most clever things I've seen.

I have a small 50ml labeled glass lab test jar from aquarium water testing kits (PH n stuff) - they are neatly labeled, so I have figured out that 7ml of starsan concentrate are good for 2l water (with the ~25% buffer, exact measure was about 5ml to 2l, but I figure that there will be losses during transfers/etc) - this will probably help people who are ounces and inches challenged, as I am myself.

I'm ounces and inches challenged, but the measuring chamber has ml's on the other side of it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that couldn't figure this out right away. Once I got it I was like oh well duh. :D The worst part is I have a new brewing buddy and he got it right off the bat.

Back