How do you say your gravity readings without sounding like a noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrier

Reaction score
I'm 25 all-grain batches into the wonderful hobby, but I've never really gotten a great handle on the accepted way to put gravity readings into words. Take these three examples: 1.061, 1.080, 1.106.

Would you say:
a) One point zero six one / One point zero eight zero / One point one zero six)

b) One point zero sixty-one / One point zero eighty / One point one hundred six).

c) Sixty-one / Eighty / One hundred six (Assuming the the vast majority of gravity reading in brewing will begin with 1.)

d) One of these, but substituting "o" for zero.

e) Something else entirely.

I'm sure there are regional differences on this, but what do you say?

I agree with 619Brewer. Ten Sixty-One, Ten Eighty, Eleven O' Six.

But then again, I have no idea whether that makes me "sound like a noob" so YMMV :)

Wonderful question. I have wondered the same. I have done the same as 619brewer.

I paint for a living and the company who I buy most of my paint from uses four digit codes for color so Im used to saying 7624 as seventy six twenty four or 1082 as ten eighty two and gravity readings seemed to fit right in.

I usually say Ten xxxx or Eleven xxxx

e.g.- 1.065 = Ten Sixty Five

or

1.108 = Eleven O' Eight

That's just me and I've never had anyone not understand me that knew brewing.

I forgot to add that one as an option, but I think I've dabbled in using that lingo too.

Yeah, go with "ten-sixty" and so forth.

Also:
Wort = wurt
OS X = oh ess ten
Linux = linicks
Ubuntu = ooboontoo

And don't you think "iodine" should end with the same sound as "bromine," "chlorine," and all the other halogens?

With the guys I brew with we usually just say the last two numbers. My biggest beer has had an OG of 1.090. So .... Sixty-five etc... For us the ten before it is just understood. I mean, of course you have the one point zero/ten in front, right? Otherwise your hydrometer is broken.

I did once say that to another brewer at the local homebrew shop and he did not follow for the longest time. We finally got it figured out. It was pretty funny. He probably thought I was an idiot.

With the guys I brew with we usually just say the last two numbers. My biggest beer has had an OG of 1.090. So .... Sixty-five etc... For us the ten before it is just understood. I mean, of course you have the one point zero/ten in front, right? Otherwise your hydrometer is broken.

Unless you're talking to somebody who thinks in Plato - you tell him your yeast bottomed out at "ten" and he'll think you have a stuck ferment. ;)

This. I've never heard it any other way.

I heard specific gravity spoken out as "one-point-zero-zero-nine" and so forth back in my college physiology lab, but never in brewing. Come to think of it, I've never really heard it spoken out loud for brewing anyway - I only read it here!

"How to say your gravity readings without sounding like a noob"

Use Plato

Just kidding... Maybe not

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I wouldn't worry too much about looking or sounding like a noob. If you truly are new then I'm sure you'll say plenty that will give it away besides your chosen vernacular for gravity readings.

But much like a lot of things in this world, no one has it all figured out. And anyone who is going to call you a noob over how you say your gravity reading is probably a dick. Lol.

I say relax and don't worry about sounding like a noob. If someone is going to judge you on how you say what the gravity is then they're a total tool.
But I usually say "ten xxx sixty xxx".

Like Cbaddad, for me it's easiest to drop the leading one and the decimal point.

1.072 = 72 gravity points
1.012 = 12 gravity points

"My gravity dropped from 72 to 12 points."

As much as wort ought to be pronounced "wurt", I have to think about it before I can say it like that and then it sounds contrived. So usually I pronounce it like the things you get on your package if you love a woman that isn't clean.

I say "ten sixty" for 1.060
If it goes down to 1.050 I say "it dropped ten points"

As a side-bar it's also good practice to throw in the temperature, especially if it's in your notes. For example: 1.060 @ 65F

Unless you're talking to somebody who thinks in Plato - you tell him your yeast bottomed out at "ten" and he'll think you have a stuck ferment. ;)

Right. I never really thought of that. :drunk: so there you go. I'll start throwing the ten on there.

If you say your gravity reading and someone reacts as if you're a noob, have some fun with it and act like they've been saying it wrong all along. Actually, there's a pretty decent chance they'd believe you.

Just use "Zed" for zero. Then you'll sound Canadian... and all Canadians know about beer.

Yep! It's that easy!

I'm Canadian and I'm sad to report that A) most Canadians drink awful beer, B) our craft beer "revolution" is years behind what I've seen in Washington and Oregon (I'm in BC). Things are, at least, heading in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm 25 all-grain batches into the wonderful hobby, but I've never really gotten a great handle on the accepted way to put gravity readings into words. Take these three examples: 1.061, 1.080, 1.106.

Would you say:

b) One point zero sixty-one / One point zero eighty / One point one hundred six).

c) Sixty-one / Eighty / One hundred six (Assuming the the vast majority of gravity reading in brewing will begin with 1.)

On a somewhat related note, I've found that listening to a few podcasts (Basic Brewing Radio, BeerSmith) has helped me with a lot of the "how do you actually SAY that?" and given me more confidence going into the LHBS. I used to get pretty intimidated going in there!

Would you say:

As other have said, I usually only read and write my gravity, not something It talk about, but when I say it out loud, I say it like a)

There's three pages here. I'm not going to read through them all. A few people most likely have said this already.
I go for clarity and no confusion. A hydrometer reading of 1.006 I say as; one point zero zero six.
To say; zero zero six will have two meanings. One is above 1.000. The other is below 1.000.
That is my $0.02 opinion.

There's three pages here. I'm not going to read through them all. A few people most likely have said this already.
I go for clarity and no confusion. A hydrometer reading of 1.006 I say as; one point zero zero six.
To say; zero zero six will have two meanings. One is above 1.000. The other is below 1.000.
That is my $0.02 opinion.

You mean your zero point zero two dollar opinion? :D

Right. I never really thought of that. :drunk: so there you go. I'll start throwing the ten on there.

You'd also potentially have a barleywine similar with an OG of 10 or 15.

As for me, I go with "ten-whatever it is" Throws me for a loop doing mead/wine/cider though when they ferment to dryness. In which its "point 9 9 whatever"

As a baseball fan I read it the same

1.061 = sixtyone

1.112 = One twelve or one hundred twelve.

The 1 IMO is implied so unless I'm writing a recipe, I presume you'll get what I'm saying.

Latest posts

Back