How do you figure hops types substitutions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let's say you're trying to make a Fuller's London Pride clone and several of the clone recipes call for
Target bittering
Challenger flavor/aroma
Northdown flavor/aroma

...but your preferred LHBS or online store carries none of those?

There's *SO* many different places to read hops substitutions and they can point in different directions; e.g., here, here, here to name just a few.
For instance, Target hops:
--"use Admiral" which doesn't help me because the LHBS and my fav online don't have that one either,
--"No, no, use Fuggle" I've found I don't much care for the earthiness
--"Oh heavens to murgetroid no, use any English bittering hop" ??

What's a noob to do? Bite the bullet and buy 4oz of each of the hops called for in the recipes (Farmhouse) and try to freeze them as I don't brew often? Do all you folks actually REMEMBER what hops is like what other hops?

Honestly, I think you would be good to go with any true English Hop... I would be more concerned with the total IBU's and the different additions you want to add to the beer....

My LHBS has a binder of various information (I'm not sure what all is in there). One of the sections is hop substitutions that they flip open and look for something similar that they carry. Is it a dedicated brew store or one facet of their business? They should have resources like that in order to help them make the sale (as opposed to you saying you'll go home and order them online).

http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php
https://byo.com/resources/hops

Or I look up the characteristics of a hop then look for another that is similar. You need to account for the different AA content when substituting though.

I agree with m00ps, many of the charts (probably including the ones I linked) only give you some of the many hops available. I have recently been doing my own recipes so I look to the characteristics and use some that will give what I think I am looking for.

Let's say you're trying to make a Fuller's London Pride clone and several of the clone recipes call for
Target bittering
Challenger flavor/aroma
Northdown flavor/aroma

...but your preferred LHBS or online store carries none of those?

There's *SO* many different places to read hops substitutions and they can point in different directions; e.g., here, here, here to name just a few.
For instance, Target hops:
--"use Admiral" which doesn't help me because the LHBS and my fav online don't have that one either,
--"No, no, use Fuggle" I've found I don't much care for the earthiness
--"Oh heavens to murgetroid no, use any English bittering hop" ??

What's a noob to do? Bite the bullet and buy 4oz of each of the hops called for in the recipes (Farmhouse) and try to freeze them as I don't brew often? Do all you folks actually REMEMBER what hops is like what other hops?

If you dont brew much I would not buy more hops then you need or plan to use in a short order. I used to over buy to save a buck or two, but then ended up with too many odds and ends hanging around. If you brew similar beers then it might not be a problem. If you only need an oz or less of those hops northernbrewer carries all of them too in smaller packages.

For bittering hops you have the greatest freedom in substituting as most of the flavor is lost due to the long boils. Pick something that says neutral flavor like magnum or warrior.

Target to me has a very sharp bitterness which give the impression of higher IBUs. Any strong bittering should work.

Northdown and Challenger are suppose to be related to northern brewer but I dont get that from their flavor or aroma. It could of been the ones I bought but they both seemed sort of non descript, kind of the opposite of fuggle hops which has a distinct flavor and aroma. Maybe try EKG if your LHBS has them.

I had leftover/extra of all of those same hops from brewing a fullers ESB clone. There are a couple episodes on the brewing network can you brew it show pertaining to fullers ESB and london pride.

Latest posts

Back