How do you measure wort pH during sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
A few months ago, I bought an electronic pH meter to measure my wort pH. I used to batch sparge, but lately I've started trying my hand at fly sparging. I've never measured my wort pH, and would like to put my fancy new $100 pH meter to work.

My concern, however, is that the instructions for my pH meter list an upper temperature limit that is below what my wort temperature will be during sparging. So how do other people measure their wort pH during sparging? Do you collect a sample and wait for it to cool down to the testable range? I can do this, but while I'm waiting for it to cool, I'll still be collecting wort from the mash tun. If it turns out my pH has drifted out of the acceptable range (which is 5.2 - 5.7, right?), then I can stop sparging, but will have already collected a few quarts of the "bad" wort.

So what's the solution here? Flash-chill the wort for testing? Get a better pH meter? Something else?

Weird. The last 2 threads I've created have had 0 replies and only 1 read (presumably my own) for several hours after I created them. Then I bumped them, and suddenly it was like everyone could see them. I wonder if that's the case with this thread, too?

The way I always measure pH is using a metal mixing bowl inside a larger plastic bowl filled with ice water. Put the sample in the metal bowl and swirl it while it's sitting in the bigger bowl. Takes 15secs to cool it to 60-70..

If you want that meter to last, you will never put it in anything hot. Chill the sample to room temperature before inserting the probe. Heat destroys probes. The manufacturer won't tell this, since they are more than happy to sell you replacement parts after you destroy your probe in hot liquid.

Back