How Do You Like Your Bacon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lay out a couple of pounds on parchment paper lined baking pans and put it into a 400 degree oven. After about 6 minutes I check it out.

When the outer areas look well done (sorta crispy) I take it out and separate it into; crispy-almost crispy-chewy-real chewy. It goes into bags until I need some then the microwave finishes it or just heats it in a matter of seconds.:mug:

bosco

I like to take 4 oz of mayonnaise, 2 tbs horseradish, 3 squirts of srirachi and a dash of lemon. Smear all of that on a raw pig.

I then stuff 8 pieces of chewy bacon in my mouth and chew...and chew.....and chew......and then think about how in the hell I am gonna cook a whole pig.

I can do either, depends on my mood. I get the feeling that when the bacon is really crispy I need more on my cheeseburger don't know why

I like the crunchewy description. Although if it's thin, then crispy is fine. If it's thicker, then chewy is fine.

And of course I won't ruin this thread by mis-directing the readers into various other options like

a) Wrapped around jalepenos
b) wrapped around shrimp
c) wrapped around...

You get the picture.

Do you like your bacon crispy? Chewy? I like my bacon thick & "crunchewy." Mostly chewy, but with a wee bit of crunchy near the edges. I don't dislike crunchy bacon, but if I had to choose between crunchy & chewy, I'll take chewy...
How about you?

GF, it's like we're twin sons from different mothers! I love thick Bacon cooked chewy, just a little crunch at the ends. My Wife prefers Her bacon much more crispy. A little searching on this site (and others) and you can see how often I refer to Bacon.

Like Gixxer said, if it's thin and crispy, I feel cheated if I don't add extra to what I'm eating.

Thin bacon....extra crispy is the bomb!...imo

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Perfect bacon is both chewy and crispy. Hickory smoked, not applewood. When you first bite in, it should crisp audibly and it should explode bacon fat into your mouth almost like pop rocks. But it should also give you a nice chew while you're chowing down. The most reliable way to achieve this is a sheet pan with a cooling rack on top holding the bacon; put it in your (cold) oven and turn the oven on to 400*. After 25 minutes, flip and then check often.

And then wash it down with some nice, full city roasted black coffee (properly brewed with no adulterants). Brazilian yellow bourbon variety if we're getting specific. There are few things better in the world than perfect bacon and perfect coffee performing together.

Wrong.

Dry rub honey cure, apple and pecan smoked with a touch of hard maple. 1/4" slices fried at 275*. Been doing this for 40 years and this is the cat's ash bro.

Wrong.

Dry rub honey cure, apple and pecan smoked with a touch of hard maple. 1/4" slices fried at 275*. Been doing this for 40 years and this is the cat's ash bro.

Never had bacon smoked with pecan wood... but the all applewood smoked stuff (from the store, mind you - I don't have the dedication to smoke my own bacon) has a funny whang to it that I don't enjoy.

+1 that this should be a poll. And crunchewy wins by a landslide. Lots and lots of thick crunchewy bacon on a plate and no one else around to ask me if I mind sharing. Yes, as a matter of fact. I do mind.

I like to take 4 oz of mayonnaise, 2 tbs horseradish, 3 squirts of srirachi and a dash of lemon. Smear all of that on a raw pig.

I then stuff 8 pieces of chewy bacon in my mouth and chew...and chew.....and chew......and then think about how in the hell I am gonna cook a whole pig.

Home run on this one cheeze

I was thinking: There are several different styles of bacon, I usually eat the pork belly bacon that is sold/made everywhere here in the US, but I also enjoy cottage bacon, Canadian back bacon, and I once had jowl bacon...

I was looking at the various styles here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon
And discovered there's a whole 'nother world of bacony goodness out there I have yet to experience. I'll have to see if I can find some of these "new to me" styles & try them.
Regards, GF.

Once it becomes brittle and starts losing flavor, it's pretty much useless unless you're making bacon bits, but even then, I'd rather chop than crumble those. I have to agree with the crunchewy. That's genius.

I was thinking: There are several different styles of bacon, I usually eat the pork belly bacon that is sold/made everywhere here in the US, but I also enjoy cottage bacon, Canadian back bacon, and I once had jowl bacon...

I was looking at the various styles here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon
And discovered there's a whole 'nother world of bacony goodness out there I have yet to experience. I'll have to see if I can find some of these "new to me" styles & try them.
Regards, GF.

GF, When I was growing up and we butchered hogs, my Grandpa and Dad would turn the jowls into bacon. Jowl Bacon is awesome! I introduced it to my Wife and Kids and they were hooked.

Another Bacon Addiction for me is "Side Pork" which looks like bacon strips and usually has a thin strip of skin or 'rind' along one edge. It is not cured and often called Fresh Side Pork. There was a butcher back in Ohio, up by Toledo, that had the best side pork I can remember tasting.

In my mind; if Bacon is Meat Candy, Side Pork is Meat Ambrosia.

It depends on what it is being used in.

If it is a salad topping, I generally cook it to the point of being crunchy, so it crumbles.

Just regular bacon, is cooked to be crispy around the edges, but it won't hold shape like a ruler if you pick it up by one end.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

Back