How Do You Like Your Bacon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any bacon is good bacon

Sent from my MB855 using Home Brew mobile app

Crunchewy. I'd also like to add I prefer the cheaper or store brands John Morrell (Thanks Navy commissary) or America's Choice. I guess it's the higher sodium content. I have a recipe for BBQ beans that says to cook six slices of thick bacon. C'mon who can cook just six slices? Here, they all be eaten by "quality control". It's the whole package or nothing!

GF, When I was growing up and we butchered hogs, my Grandpa and Dad would turn the jowls into bacon. Jowl Bacon is awesome! I introduced it to my Wife and Kids and they were hooked.

Another Bacon Addiction for me is "Side Pork" which looks like bacon strips and usually has a thin strip of skin or 'rind' along one edge. It is not cured and often called Fresh Side Pork. There was a butcher back in Ohio, up by Toledo, that had the best side pork I can remember tasting.

In my mind; if Bacon is Meat Candy, Side Pork is Meat Ambrosia.

I haven't had jowl bacon since I was a kid in Indiana, but I remember it being nice & thick & tasty. Had it at a friend's house; it was quite a treat since my mom only bought the paper thin stuff.

Not sure if I ever had the fresh side pork or not, but I have had bacon with a rind on it, so maybe I did & didn't know the difference. I remember there used to be stores that had bacon (and ham) wrapped in paper & hanging on hooks from the rafters, unrefrigerated. Some was smoked, some was salt cured & had to be soaked in water before cooking/eating.

My uncle used to get the smoked slab bacon & cut pieces about 1/2 inch thick & fry 'em up in an old cast iron skillet. I remember it being so tasty, but also so smokey, it was about 3 or 4 times more smokey than todays store-bought smoked bacon & it was always hickory smoked. I only got to eat it at my uncle's house & then only when he felt like cooking breakfast, so that was quite a treat too.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Latest posts

Back