How do you guys with Keggles and burners deal with residual heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So i've only used my keggle twice, but i have found that when i am using my IC and whirlpooling that i get down to 150F or so and it starts to stagnate, it drops but much much slower.

I am using the keggle on a SP10 Bayou Burner with a grill grate on it, and found i believe the problem is because the burner itself and grate are still extremely hot..even after it was at 150 inside when i took my keggle off the burner and put it on the ground and tested various spots on the burner grate it was 170-190F still!

Granted for me its not a huge deal to move the keggle off the burner and to the ground because its only 5G, although it is still heavy as hell.

How are you guys doing bigger batches dealing with it? I realize most people who use keggles use brew stands that wont necessarily have this same problem, but i know not everyone does...I had this same problem with my brew pot. As soon as i take it off the burner it starts dropping down to the 100-110F range before it slows again due to the water temperature...which is almost always around 60F here.

I'm surprised it's that big of an issue. The skirt of my keggle is always noticeably warmer than the body but I haven't seen that this affects the cooling (or I've just never been concerned about it to investigate). I also haven't worried about the rate of temperature drop, I don't test the wort temp until the SS is no longer warm (have a glass thermo so remove it while stirring).
I keep mine on the burner stand just because it's the perfect height for draining off into the fermenters so putting it on the ground just means more work lifting it back up later.

Back