how do you guys bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKrumm

Reaction score
I think I figured out my beer off flavor just now. It has got to be either to much sanitizer or that i rinse the bottles after sanitizing. could this being messin up my brews fellas?

I use a vinator to squirt sanitizer in my bottles and then put them upside down in my dishwasher so they drain. So all that's left is some bubbles, which is going to be a very very small volume of actual liquid.

well it can be nothing else. my beer tastes like beer before bottles/kegging and they come out tasting like they got hit by chemicals.

I use a vinator to squirt sanitizer in my bottles and then put them upside down in my dishwasher so they drain. So all that's left is some bubbles, which is going to be a very very small volume of actual liquid.

What exactly are you using to sanitize?

starsan as of my last beer bottled. was using iodaphor, but I thought I'd try out something new this time since I wasn't to pumped on my stuff turning pinkish

Ensure bottles are clean before hand.
I wash my bottles immediately after use in hot water only and store upside down.
On bottling day I use Starsan at recommended rate in RO water in a Vinator to sanitize the bottles then air dry(no rinse) on bottle tree.
I sanitize the tops in starsan before using them. Never had any hint of chemical taste.

You shouldn't rinse off your sanitizer...you're defeating the purpose of a no-rinse sanitizer and possibly infecting your gear at the same time.

This.

And rinsing with chlorinated tap water can easily create detectable levels of chlorophenols, especially if your water has higher than average levels of chlorine/chloramine. Chlorophenols often taste harsh, medicinal, or like burnt plastic, and have a very low taste threshold.

I've never had any off flavors from using starsan. check Revvy's bottling tips and see if there's something about your process that doesnt match up, then post here any differences.

What sort of primer are you using? If using priming sugar, do you boil the water used to dilute the sugar? Is all of your bottling equipment sanitized with starsan as well?

Do you using a bottling wand, auto-siphon, or a bucket with a valve? Is everything sanitized thoroughly?

If this isn't a water issue, try a new auto siphon/racking system. In your earlier threads, you mention you made a couple of good beers and then developed this off taste in both bottles and kegs. Racking will be common to both bottling and kegging. You used to do secondaries, and then secondaries and cold crashing. That's a lot of transferring, and there might be a wild yeast or bug or two that is hiding in your auto siphon.

exactly star san.

You WANT trace amounts of sanitizer in whatever you are using. If using a no-rinse/wet contact sanitizer like iodophor or starsan you should always sanitize fresh, and leave things wet. You should sanitize on bottling day (or brew day if you are brewing.) It only takes a few minutes. If you let a no-rinse, wet contact sanitizer like starsan or iodophor, dry your are reducing it's efficacy by half. If it is dry, any micro organisms that touch the surface render it no longer sanitized. If the walls are wet with sanitizer, that organism would be toast. But dry it would still be alive.

In fact because of that, the inventor of starsan worked it out so that starsan breaks down into "yeast food" in fact many of the compounds are found in most softdrinks, so they are perfectly safe when at the correct dillution.

There's a lot of great info in this thread, including the links to podcasts about the two most effective sanitizers we use, iodophor and starsan.

Sanitizer Question.

You shouldn't rinse off your sanitizer...you're defeating the purpose of a no-rinse sanitizer and possibly infecting your gear at the same time.

How I, and many of us bottle is outlined here- Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer.

click on this link. revvy's bottling set up is the ****. super simple and effective. its one of those real, "duh, why didn't i think of that" things.

well im bottling a new batch tonight. i'll kepp all this in mind tonight and if you guys like i will update you in a few weeks!

Starsan is the best sanitizer, but for bottles, I just run them through the dishwasher (no soap, just make sure the bottles are clean first). Make sure you run the drying cycle, that way they are sterile, then just open the dishwasher and fill them. No chemicals to worry about.

Starsan is the best sanitizer, but for bottles, I just run them through the dishwasher (no soap, just make sure the bottles are clean first). Make sure you run the drying cycle, that way they are sterile, then just open the dishwasher and fill them. No chemicals to worry about.

If you're going to do this, make sure you don't have rinse agent in your dishwasher. We bought new dishwasher a few months ago, and first thing SWMBO did was fill the rinse agent reservoir.... so much for running my bottles through the dishwasher. :p

Might not be practical for everybody, but I personally found the best and easiest way for me was to cook the bottles in the oven (340F 60 minutes) since I sanitize with a water, bleach and vinegar mixture and I don't trust a vinator to do a good enough job spreading that inside the bottles for adequate contact times.

It's a pain since I can't bottle on a whim, but it insures sterile bottles.

Thanks Brother rycov!!! :mug:

just call 'em like i see 'em.:mug:

well im bottling a new batch tonight. i'll kepp all this in mind tonight and if you guys like i will update you in a few weeks!

always update. we felt like it was important enough to comment in the first place, of course we wanna know how everything ends up. gotta have closure

I follow Reevys bottling thread almost 100%. I made a few adjustments based on my space, but other than that I follow it pretty close. It's worked extremely well

Back