How do you get the o-ring off poppets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerens

Reaction score
Just started kegging and I am trying to get those little o-rings off the poppets without breaking them. Any wisdom you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Those aren't o-rings they are just a rubber seal and AFAIK are an integral part of the poppet assembly (i.e. as said above, the whole poppet gets replaced).

O-rings and D-rings are so named because the cross-section of the seal is an 'O' or 'D' shape.

I actually found a bad poppet last week. The oring, or seal, was bulging out of it's recess. You can take the bottom triangle piece (that rests on the In or Out post) off the main post of the poppet with some force, then the post will slide out of the spring and separate from the ss top and split the two sections that sandwich the seal. Then if you can find a replacement you could reassemble. But I don'tsee replacement seals on any of the websites. I just threw the poppet away and will buy a few more. They're $3-$5.

I was trying to get them off to clean them thoroughly. Glad I stopped pulling with my needle nosed pliers! :eek:

Thanks!

I was trying to get them off to clean them thoroughly. Glad I stopped pulling with my needle nosed pliers! :eek:

Thanks!

For deep cleaning, every 2-4 kegs worth of beer, I just toss the poppets and the posts and dip tubes down into the keg with the oxiclean solution while it all soaks.

Back