how do you determine priming sugar by FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
I read (or had a dream) that either yooper revvy or someone else determined how much priming sugar to use when bottling by making a calculation with their final gravity reading. Could someone shed some light on this perhaps? I'd like to move into the next level of my brewing and one of the areas that i've noticed the most is my carbonation. I generally use the standard 3/4 cup per 5 gallon batch. This will sometimes produce a lightly carbonated and sometimes heavily carbonated beer.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Final Gravity should be a stable number, to say, there are no fermentables left. Therefor, priming is independent of FG. The problem comes up when a batch is finishing slowly and you bottle with 1-2 points unfermented. Adding that to the priming sugar can make a big difference. The higher the target FG, the more likely that this problem will occur.

Some folks add roughly the same amount to every batch that they bottle (4 to 4.5 oz). Others adjust the amount based on the co2 volumes that are apropriate for the style.

Better late than never. You should wait until your FG is stable, if you wait 2 weeks you should usually be good, then if you want to get picky you can calculate the type of carbonation you want, try the calculator:
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/brew/widgets/bp.html
5 oz. is good for american style High carbonation, for some beer you might want to try 3-4 oz., I did a Nut brown ale with 3 oz. and it was a little flat for my taste, but after 3 weeks it was better. With 5 oz. your beer is usually pretty good after a week, but after a month or so get really carbonated.....although I am still a newbie

I think you're confusing FG at bottling, with beer temperature at bottling.

the colder the finished beer at bottling, the more CO2 it should have in solution.

so CO2 priming charts usually take volume of beer, temperature and desired CO2 volumes into account to give you the right amount of sugar to prime with so its not overcarbed due to being bottledwhile really cold (or undercarbed because it was 80F when bottled)

Back