How do you call this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIC-8462852

Reaction score
I just brewed up something, but I have no idea how to call it. Hooch? Bastard cider?

~2L unfiltered apple juice
1L ananas juice
1/2 a cup of honeys (finished my honey remains - 100% pure honey) with a generous dollop of maple syrup
a few pellets of Comet hops
mixed all this with some Danstar Nottingham recovered a few weeks ago in its beer wort.

Concerns:
- ananas juice has E440, pectin. afaik it shouldn't interfere with fermentation but who knows
- maple syrup: says it's "pure", but it's from Canada and there's no ingredient list, so I don't know what it could contain and still be called "pure"
- recycled ale yeast, with a bit of beer wort... actually the least of my concerns, but I thought I'd mention it.

I just brewed up something, but I have no idea how to call it. Hooch? Bastard cider?

~2L unfiltered apple juice
1L ananas juice
1/2 a cup of honeys (finished my honey remains - 100% pure honey) with a generous dollop of maple syrup
a few pellets of Comet hops
mixed all this with some Danstar Nottingham recovered a few weeks ago in its beer wort.

Concerns:
- ananas juice has E440, pectin. afaik it shouldn't interfere with fermentation but who knows
- maple syrup: says it's "pure", but it's from Canada and there's no ingredient list, so I don't know what it could contain and still be called "pure"
- recycled ale yeast, with a bit of beer wort... actually the least of my concerns, but I thought I'd mention it.
Hi. I'd call it "Interesting!" Nottingham attenuates pretty well, so it might gobble up all of the sugars and leave you with a dry cider, but I'm not sure how much of the original flavors from the ananas and maple will be left after fermentation. Good luck and let us know how it comes out. Ed
:mug:

ETA: I didn't mention the honey because unless it is very aromatic, honey flavor almost always gets lost in the fermentation.

Hi. I'd call it "Interesting!" Nottingham attenuates pretty well, so it might gobble up all of the sugars and leave you with a dry cider, but I'm not sure how much of the original flavors from the ananas and maple will be left after fermentation. Good luck and let us know how it comes out. Ed
:mug:

ETA: I didn't mention the honey because unless it is very aromatic, honey flavor almost always gets lost in the fermentation.

Yeah, it should end up pretty dry, I don't mind.
I use honey mostly to boost the sugar content, and for the slight trace of honey flavor - but in this case there's so little that I'm not sure it'll have any effect. Same for maple - it's really just a small dollop to push sugars, I'm hoping for some barely perceptible effect :p

Come to think of it, I hope I didn't overdo the hops. Anyway, even if it comes out weird, it might age out nicely.

What is "ananas" juice? Google can't even tell me.

First time you wrote it I assumed Bananas juice, but then you wrote it again.

Ananas comosus.

Called by some, a pineapple. :)

LOL yes, that's pineapple juice for you anglophones.

Actually the hops are just floating on top, I might have foreseen that. Don't think they'll be doing much.

Still wondering if there's a designation for this kind of stuff. I guess it's just a cider?

It's your brew, call it what you like. I'd personally go with Phannias, Melton, Englebert, or Steve. :)

As long as it comes and sits in a glass... I don't care what you call it ;-)

Just bottled this bad boy. Went from 1.053 to 0.999 in 2.5 weeks.
It looks beatiful - nice ligt colour, a tad hazy, which is entirely expected.
Smells like old apples and pineapple, very lovely.
Taste is quite sour, but once the palate gets used to it, you do get a bit of fruit flavour. I think if I manage to let it age a bit, it might become pleasant. Though in fact I already enjoy it.

Back