How do people use PBW and starsan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am new to both of them. So far we only had access to ChemiPro. I used to use chemi and then iodine.

What's the story with PBW and starsan?

Is it safe to say that PBW is like chemi and starsan is like iodine in my cleaning process?

So, PBW does the heavy duty cleaning and starsan eliminates the bacteria and all the unwanted organism?

PBW is used for cleaning only. It does not sanitize. I use it to clean kegs, carboys, and various parts of my Mash Tun and Boil Kettle.

Star Sans is a no rinse sanitizer. It is used like us old timers used to use bleach/water solution. Dip what ever CLEAN part you want into it, and 2 minutes later you have something that is safe to touch your wort/beer (The label says 2 minutes, I have heard that 30 seconds does the trick also. Me, I go with the 2 minute soak).

Star Sans brought me back to brewing. Back in 98 or 99, I was having an infection problem. I replaced all of my plastic, and took extra care in every part of my brewing process. Still was getting an infection. I stopped brewing. Fast forward 6ish months, and I tried Star Sans. Infections gone. I have no idea what part of my brewery was infected, I just know that Star Sans and PBW are the ****.

I use Full Circle dish detergent as I can get that at my local store. Just one less item to order online for me. It is scent/dye free like the Oxy-clean I was using, but doesn't leave the white film Oxy is known for if you use too much of it.

I also use Star-san. Like the others have mentioned, it is a NO rinse sanitizer and it is awesome.

I clean everything with PBW & a good rinse. Soak spigot parts to clean with aquarium lift tube brushes as well. A keg line cleaning brush with PBW for cleaning inside all tubing & the like. It soaks labels off bottles & dissolves the glue too. Starsan for all sanitizing, including a spray bottle for on the spot sanitizing while brewing &/or bottling.

I use Full Circle dish detergent as I can get that at my local store. Just one less item to order online for me. It is scent/dye free like the Oxy-clean I was using, but doesn't leave the white film Oxy is known for if you use too much of it.

I also use Star-san. Like the others have mentioned, it is a NO rinse sanitizer and it is awesome.

Yeah....I was thinking of doing the same. PBW is really expensive here. I'd probably use oxiclean and then starsan.

If you use Oxyclean. Don't be afraid to go a bit thin on it.

if you see the white film, just rinse the f%&k out of it with some hot water. Keep rinsing it until it's gone.

If you use Oxyclean. Don't be afraid to go a bit thin on it.

if you see the white film, just rinse the f%&k out of it with some hot water. Keep rinsing it until it's gone.

That's what I normally do with the mixture I made (which is three different chemicals that make up oxiclean). I rinse my equipment before sanitizing it in iodine (well, from now on in starsan).

Cheers.

Back