How do people NOT watch airlocks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llazy_llama

Reaction score
Seriously, it's just so hypnotic. My first two real batches (Hefeweizen in the bucket, EdWort's Apfelwine in the front) bubbling happily away. I just can't pull myself away from watching it! :D

DSC00371.jpg

So preeeeeetty...

Yeah, I'm still fascinated by it myself. I am playing with temp control right now and it's even more fascinating to me to see my beer bubbling away at 62 degrees. It's almost like having a new born. You know, when you get up in the middle of the night and listen to them breathe, just to make sure everything is ok? :)

<Insert obligatory "your beer is ruined, send to me for safe disposal" reply.>

I don't really watch them much. Since I fill my airlocks with Starsan, I can hear them spit and wheeze from across the room. Definitely sniff 'em daily tho.

I always have a three piece in one bucket, and an S type in the other. That way I get two different displays of beauty at the same time :)

I always have a three piece in one bucket, and an S type in the other. That way I get two different displays of beauty at the same time :)

My God, you're a genius! I have an S-type that I've never used just sitting there... When I do tomorrow's brew, I'll have a bucket and a BB with 3-pieces and another BB with an S-type. *sigh* I'm screwed come Sunday when that one starts bubbling too, I've never seen one.

I love watching my airlocks. Before I went out for the night tonight #3 (IPA) had barely started, but by the time I got home it was bubbling away happily. I love sniffing my #2 which currently contains a (hopefully) very nice Scotch Ale.

Is there a difference between the S type and the single chamber one other than the cool factor? I bought a S just because it looked more fun and I'm going to use it on this batch.

Is there a difference between the S type and the single chamber one other than the cool factor? I bought a S just because it looked more fun and I'm going to use it on this batch.

As far as I know, just cleanability. I don't have a problem cleaning the S type anyway though.

Back