how do I prep my DIY oak mash paddle for use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I just made a really nice looking mash paddle (sorry no pictures available) with a piece of red-oak from home depot.

I was heating some water last night cleaning the CFC I just made, and I threw the mash paddle in the near-boiling water in an attempt to clean/prep it for the brew-day tomorrow. The water turned a strong shade of green from the junk coming out of the wood, yuck!

I know wood well but did not expect that to happen. I have done nothing but router/sand this piece of oak, so what should I do to prep it for use? I was thinking of just getting a good 10 gallons of water boiling in my keggle so I can near fully immerse the wood and boil it for a while to get the stank out of it.

I also have some butcher block oil for my butcher block but am hesitant to put anything on my paddle.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks
Steve

I have a maple paddle and have not treated it with anything.

I was hesitant to put any oil or anything on the wood, for fear of it getting into the beer. So far, the wood has held up great; no cracks and it doesn't look dried-out.

Here is another red oak paddle thread. He talks about water soaking to raise the grain. That green water is weird though, it's not pressure treated is it? Just kidding.

do you have super hard water? color could be reaction to minerals.

It was definitely not pressure treated. I do not have super hard water.

I must add it was dark and I it looked greenish in my patio lights, but the lighting wasn't great so it could have just darkened the water.

Lets not focus on the color and focus on how I can best prep my paddle for use.

Thanks!

you have already prepped it for use in the hot water. hang it up to dry, away from sunlight or artificial heat, to prevent warping.

We use a fair amount of wooden utensils in my household for cooking and etc.. they are usually sealed with food-grade mineral oil. This is what crafters usually use in place of more common wood sealants when they make wooden spoons and such. So, that seems like a pretty safe option to me if you are interested in treating the paddle with something.

You don't want to introduce oil to your beer. Red oak is also not good in a moisture environment like white oak is. You can keep introducing it to water to get the tannins extracted to get it to neutral. Hot water works faster. I wouldn't be surprised if the oak turned grey on you too.

You don't want to introduce oil to your beer. Red oak is also not good in a moisture environment like white oak is. You can keep introducing it to water to get the tannins extracted to get it to neutral. Hot water works faster. I wouldn't be surprised if the oak turned grey on you too.

Bummer! I wish I had another type of wood laying around my shop I has grabbed. I'll try boiling it for a while but if I dont get happy with it i'll have to make one out of maple.

Thanks for the advice.

I have been using a red oak paddle for a couple of years now and it has not changed color. I do rinse it off real good after using it, then let it dry and put a light coating of food grade mineral oil on it. Then hang it up. By the time I am ready to brew again it is ready to go. I have not had any problem with the oil on the paddle or with my brews.

Surprised the mineral oil doesn't cause issues for your brews. Cool that it is holding up with brewing by its application though. I made the mistake of building a stand for my big green egg with red oak and it got trashed by the weather. Should have done my homework first, then I would have known that red oak and outdoors don't get along.

I treated my white oak paddle with mineral oil when I first made it. It never had any adverse affects on any of my beers. I think whatever amount of oil that does get into the beer is too small to make a difference.

I made mine with Tung oil, make sure its the real stuff and not "Tung oil finish" which isnt tung oil. Hopes is good stuff. This stuff works fantastic for me, but still I try to use the paddle as little as possible in the bear. Put in, do its thing, take it out. Both to reduce the exposure at wort, and to protect the paddle itself.

Open grain wood like oak is not a good wood for use where there is food contact. All your upper end utensils, cutting boards, countertops, etc. are made from woods like maple, walnut and birch. Making another mash paddle out of maple, walnut or birch is the right way to go. Check out any name brand store, homebrew website and you will not find an oak mash paddle.

while I agree that red oak is not the ideal type of wood for a mash paddle, I've been using mine for over a year now without any problems. No oil was used and I just rinse it after use that's all. At my home depot, I can only find red oak dowels anyway...

I don't see why you would need oil for a mash paddle. Some woods work very well with water, in the manner a mash paddle is being used, anyway.

Open grain isn't really an issue since it's being used pre-boil. Just rinse off well and dry it right away. Some woods will last longer than others.

I agree I have made my mash paddle from a red wine barrel soaked it in sodium percarbonate and then in star san it's a great paddle used it in 6 all grain brews now no worries!!! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415084731.266022.jpg just rinse it at end of brew and leave it hanging up as per one behind Keggle top. changing to electric brew setup shortly.

Red wine oak barrel would be great material. Much of the oak character is already spent to the wine and it is white oak which handles wet conditions very well.

I agree I have made my mash paddle from a red wine barrel soaked it in sodium percarbonate and then in star san it's a great paddle used it in 6 all grain brews now no worries!!!View attachment 233718 just rinse it at end of brew and leave it hanging up as per one behind Keggle top. changing to electric brew setup shortly.

Love that paddle!

Back