How do I plug a 1/2 inch hole I no longer need in a kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I must be getting too old for this game when I can't figure stuff out like this.

I'm removing a recirculation arm from my kettle for other applications. How do I plug the hole? You'd think this would be easy but I can't find anything online to do this.

I thought there'd be a 1/2 cap that I can smash two high temp washer between but I can't find anything!

Amazon links please?

Thank you!

Bobby_M at Brewhardware.com will have a compression plug that fits right in and seals the hole watertight. I did this just this week when I plugged a 17mm hole that I had drilled for a thermowell into a SS fermenter. Works well.

Be mindful if the hole is weldless or welded. Mine was weldless (hole I drilled) so I needed a compression plug. Welded needs a plug with threads to match your port.

Ball valve

You dont need to use, and nothing wrong with having an extra valve at the ready

Where is it and why don't you need it anymore?

Shoot. I own the fitting from amazon... that's it? g'dang it... (TY)

Bobby_M at Brewhardware.com will have a compression plug that fits right in and seals the hole watertight. I did this just this week when I plugged a 17mm hole that I had drilled for a thermowell into a SS fermenter. Works well.

Be mindful if the hole is weldless or welded. Mine was weldless (hole I drilled) so I needed a compression plug. Welded needs a plug with threads to match your port.

Thanks, I'm going to check this out.

Ball valve

You dont need to use, and nothing wrong with having an extra valve at the ready

Where is it and why don't you need it anymore?

There's already a ball valve on it. I'm upgrading from BIAB single kettle to a two kettle system. I'm going to install the recirculation arm from the boil kettle on the new mash vessel.

But you're right, perhaps I should just buy another ball valve (they look pretty cool anyhow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoot. I own the fitting from amazon... that's it? g'dang it... (TY)

Thanks, I'm going to check this out.

There's already a ball valve on it. I'm upgrading from BIAB single kettle to a two kettle system. I'm going to install the recirculation arm from the boil kettle on the new mash vessel.

But you're right, perhaps I should just buy another ball valve (they look pretty cool anyhow...

Depending on where the hole is if you carefully plan your upgrade, you're doing yourself a favor

Back